[SECC] N4GG - Weak weekend

Subject: [SECC] N4GG - Weak weekend
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Sun Aug 22 16:11:13 2004
Started Friday night when the two lines of thunderstorms tangled the
main dipole here into the trees.  Got it somewhat untangled by Sat
morning and did a little listening for the SP opening to JA (Keyman's
contest).  Heard no JAs - not a good sign.

Heard a few Russians, the big guns, weak, working the RDA test so I
jumped into that.  Made 6 Qs with 6 mults in an hour - with the amp on.
Also a bad sign.

Most of NAQP was spent at a birthday party per plan.  Finally got to the
rig late and found 28 and 21 dead, 20 fair/poor, 40 okay, 80 and 160
really noisy.  After an hour of head-banging I turned on the amp and
decided I was 'not in the contest - just having a good time.'  Did 147
Qs in 4 hours and went to bed.  If I was loud, its because I was QRO -
so I won't be submitting a score.  It was more fun with the amp on -
worked quite a few SECC'ers.

Low power SSB in the summer on dipoles is really for the brave.

Hal

N4GG