[SECC] Eclipse of the Atlanta Hamfest - continuing the Thread

Subject: [SECC] Eclipse of the Atlanta Hamfest - continuing the Thread
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Wed Jun 9 00:02:54 2004
On Jun 8, 2004, at 10:20 PM, Dick Bentley wrote:

> I'd like to list the factors that led
> to the downsizing of the event:
>
> 1.  Steadily rising costs of hiring a hall that would
> attract the commercial vendors needed to make the
> event profitable.

Yeah, this also lead to a number of goofy hamfest locations which kinda
shattered the back of the hamfest -- both vendors and attendees who
were coming from miles had one bad experience and didn't want to come
back.

> 2.  ARC managment insistence that the HamFestival not
> drain the ARC Trust fund.

Sorta compounds problem #1, especially after a bad year.

> 3.  Absolute apathy on the part of the Atlanta ham
> community with regard to helping to run or even attend
> the event.

It's been my experience in any organization that the hardest part is to
get people to do things. Usually you end up with a core of about 2-10%
of the organization that do 90% of the work.

>  One year we received numerous complaints
> about not receiving a written invitation to attend in
> the mail.  Some hams wanted to be invited to attend
> but couldn't be bothered helping to make the event
> happen. With declining attendance, commercial vendors
> could no longer be promised the minimum 5,000 to
> 10,000 attendees they felt necessary to justify the
> expense of appearing at the show.

Doggone chicken and egg situation -- vendors want lots of attendees,
attendees want lots of vendors. The whole deal can implode very
quickly, but is very hard to build back.

> Rather than criticizing the event, I think we ought to
> be applauding the efforts of the Talipsky's KI4Y and
> N3ACK, Charles W4CHG, the ARC management and
> volunteers for continuing to carry the torch forward
> and we ought to reward with our business vendors such
> as Ham Radio Outlet, Kenwood, Wireman, Rosewood, etc.
> who have stuck with the show.

Hear, hear.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901