[SECC] ARRL Sweepstakes

Subject: [SECC] ARRL Sweepstakes
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Mon Jun 7 11:17:16 2004
Hi Tom:  I've always tried to work within my local club, even thought it
is usually very much like the Valdosta club you mentioned.  Don't they
need a good CW op for FD down there?  After all, CW QSOs count twice as
many points as do SSB QSOs.

I think your strategy for CW SS is basically sound.  I usually try to
start at the beginning and go until the rate really drops and then get
some sleep.  I haven't found Sunday to be very productive as early as 5
AM.  Probably more like 6 or 7 to start again.  I usually go right
through the middle of the day in spite of low rates, because my
experience had been that the rate really drops at the end and all I can
find is other guys calling CQs with no answers.

W4AN felt that it was best to do half hours off and on and to save that
last hour or so for operating on the theory that a lot of guys may get
on late for great runs right at the end when they haven't been on
earlier.  I always find a few of those guys, but not enough to make up
for no answers to most CQs toward the end.  I may find it will be
different with SO2R capability (which I have now for QRP and hope to
have for QRO by November).

Unfortunately, we are a long way away from big population areas, but not
quite far enough away for good skip on 20, 15 and 10 to those areas.  So
we don't do so well in SS in the middle of the day on 40, but don't do
so well on the higher bands either.  And sometimes, 80 seems a waste
from this far south, but I still spend a lot of time there after 40 goes
long.

73,

John.