[SECC] 50 mhz Sprint this Saturday night

Subject: [SECC] 50 mhz Sprint this Saturday night
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sun May 9 22:45:57 2004
I listened for a few minutes but only heard a station in SC weakly.  I do
have a little 4 el on a 10 foot boom pointed WSW.  NADA but on my 40 meter
beam (much higher) I did hear partials K8, K0, BV/1 like meteor bursts.  Not
much local activity as with the ARRL June VHF.

Funny but DX Summit showed W1 and VA W4 working Europe Sunday about 1500 to
1700Z.  One local said NADA here.

I have the 6 el Cushcraft I got from W4WA and I have used the 1994 specs for
the newer element spacing (W3ZZ had a note in his VHF column in May).  I now
have to figure where to put it.  I have several tree branches at 45 to 50
feet (like Jay K4OGG) .  The alternative is a 30 foot push up mast on the
chimney.  I have to find some bigger chimney hardware as the mast is bigger
than the hardware radio shack sells.  I don't see any matching hardware ate
Home Depot or Lowes (they sell the push up mast).  This will get me to about
45 feet also but the house roof is below it.

I am also open for any ideas on light weight aluminum or fiberglass masts
that are at least 1.5" on the top section.  I have the military stack masts
sections but can't imagine holding 4 or 5 sections with a 6 el beam on top
by myself HI.

Dave K4JRB