[SECC] Holy Land Contest

Subject: [SECC] Holy Land Contest
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sun Apr 18 03:25:00 2004
I did Ok last year in the Holy Land Contest last year despite missing the
whole first day. I decided the secret was 40 meters.  I worked the two
stations I found on 20 and found 40 filled with 4X stations.  Running S/O
SSB I tried for 3.5 hours to get the stations to listen up.  This despite
the fact that I had several e-mail exchanges with Mark (the 4X director)
about listening up.

In the 3.5 hours (the band finally went out at 1 hour past their sunrise) I
managed to work only 6 stations one of which was Rafi 4X4FR who worked me
mobile from two of their squares.  He told me I was louder than all but one
or two of the Europeans.  Only one station actually was listening up at
times and another listened up after I called him on CW then SSB (listen up
for stateside) on his frequency.   I noted 14 additional 4X stations that I
could hear on SSB including the two I worked on 20.   I called on CW
numerous times and finally made several calls on SSB (just saying a
frequency that was clear).  I did get 4X1GY to listen up but for some reason
he went to the frequency requested so it took a couple of transmissions to
get him back below 7100 and for me to transmit on the selected frequency.
He told me I was loud.   The strangest was 4X4ARC.  He listened (so he said
on the selected frequency) and he too started transmitting on the USA
frequency.  After a couple of minutes it became apparent the op had no idea
how to work split
and I heard him back calling CQ simplex.  The rest ignored my CW ...one made
a comment the loud CW was interfereing with the DL he was trying to work.

I finally found a clear frequency and starting calling CQ Holy Land Contest.
Not a single 4X answered but I did talk with UY2VM, YU1, PA9DD, LX1HM, and a
very loud SV9CVY who also said I was 20 to 30 over at his QTH.  Malik, 4X4JU
put me on their packet cluster but still no QSOs.  I went down on CW and
quickly worked three stations but all said sorry CW only even one I had
copied several times on SSB around 7052.

I sent a second e-mail to poor Mark and ceased my Holy Land effort.  The 40
meter QSOs count as two contacts as does those on 80/75 (none copied this
year even up East according to K3ZO). I suspected 20 would carry the bulk of
activity with maybe, maybe 15 for a short opening.  With SF=93 10 meters was
NIL on the forecast program ( 3 QSOs last year).

I have the same problem with both the H-22 and PACC contests each year so
guess the HolyLand contest will join those as make a few contacts for grins.
Where are the ops who work the CQ WW et al and listen up???   Can't wait
until 2009 HI.

73 Dave K4JRB