[SECC] Claimed Score K4BAI 2004 ARRL DX SSB Contest

Subject: [SECC] Claimed Score K4BAI 2004 ARRL DX SSB Contest
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Mon Mar 8 14:12:45 2004
Below is my claimed score for last weekend.  I was in Macon when the
contest started and didn't get on the air until Saturday morning.  Later
on, took time out to eat lunch out with Weesie, go to the post office,
take Weesie to a movie ("Twisted" with a beautiful actress in a plot
challenged movie), sleep about 8 hours Saturday night, go to church, and
play a tennis match.  Haven't tried to figure out the hours yet, but it
must not have been too many.  With 10 meters being rather poor (only
Africa was CN2R and only Europe was EA5DFV, who said Sunday AM that I
was his first US QSO and that I was 59 plus 10--I was beaming South!
not skew path, but south.  He was gone before I could figure out if his
signals would have been louder on another path.), it got a bit boring.
Never could find a time that it seemed to make sense to run on 20.  Band
was too crowded and European signals were generally too weak.  15 was a
very good band and running was easy Saturday, but the number of stations
to be worked had dropped considerably by Sunday and running was more
difficult.  On 40 M, with the dipole, I worked nearly every station I
heard listening in the US General Class band.  I had the zepp ready to
use on 40 as it is usually better for Europe, but I have to use the same
tuner with the zepp that I use to tune the 80 meter wire on 160 M, so I
never retuned it to try the zepp on 40, and opted for quicker QSY
between the two bands.  I didn't even listen on 75.  The last time I
listened to a DX contest there, there was not one single DX station
listening above 3850.  However, Dave, K4JRB, mentioned today an Italian
station listening on 3882, so I'll need to listen to 75 in the next ARRL
DX Contest.  I guess ARRL is much different than the other contests,
since the DX stations can't work each other for points.  That same fact
impressed me when I heard the 40 meter section from 7100 to 7035 or so
covered with loud SSB stations listening in the US band at 23 UTC
Sunday, when new QSOs on the higher bands had become few and far
between.  Hope everyone worked W4BD and company at TI8M.  Give us a
report when you can, Bob.

73,

John, K4BAI.

                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs):

   160:    9     8
    80:    0     0
    40:   61    35
    20:  152    65
    15:  483    78
    10:   77    27
Total:  782   213  Total Score = 499,698

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:  FT1000MP, Alpha 78, about 1 KW output, TH6DXX, dipole, end
fed wire.

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/