[SECC] Computer Crash during NAQP SSB

Subject: [SECC] Computer Crash during NAQP SSB
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue Jan 20 17:47:45 2004
Jeff KU8E writes:>
>   I agree with John... While it is nice to have a slick program like
Writelog
> I would rather stick to a DOS based program that I am sure the file is not
going to be deleted if a problem occurs. Every version of Windows has
> some sort of problem and I just don't trust any contest program that runs
under it.  Is there a SAVELOG type function in Writelog that you could have
run say every 10 qso's that would save your log to a file on a diskette ????
I would use that if it's available...

Yes writelog asks you to start a save log after the first QSO.  The standard
is to save after 10 or 20 QSOs.  I turned off my P 3 contest computer last
year after one of my famous 40 meter runs
(I do have a UPS system from WB4SQ).   My original log was there and the
last 20 QSOs restored no problem.   With a UPS system a power outage can be
overcome as you can calmly log off the PC.

the problem is that my PC has a combo board or motherboard with built in
modem and sound card (rated very good by WA9ALS on the writelog reflector).
Its a P 3 500Mhz with 128MB ram and twin 20GB HDs running W 98V2.  At first
I had problems with the mouse and pointer freezing but my tech support fixed
that but they feel its I/O errors.   I have run writelog several times and
with this happening and no loss of QSOs.   The UPS does no good here!

73 Dave K4JRB