[SECC] Claimed Scores 2003 Stew Perry TBDC

Subject: [SECC] Claimed Scores 2003 Stew Perry TBDC
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed Dec 31 13:21:04 2003
Here are the claimed scores reported for the 2003 Stew Perry Top Band
Distance Challenge:

Call    QSOs    Score   Time    Power
K4OGG   297     1,874   14      LP
N4PN    288     1,093   12      HP?     FCG
WA4TT   130     566     3       HP
K4BAI   170     532     4.5     HP
KA1DWX  94      318     3.5     HP
N4GG    109     276     5       HP
WB6BWZ  28      220     2.5     QRP
K9AY    208     ?       6       HP

The score in this contest is dependent on your own power level due to
power multipliers, the distance involved in the QSOs, and in the final
scoring after checking, bonus points for working QRP stations.
Therefore, the difference in score of K4OGG over N4PN with only a few
more QSOs is because of the power multiplier.  WA4TT's score exceeds
K4BAI, who had more QSOs, because TT John (who has a very good 160M
antenna) made more QSOs at a greater distance than BAI John did.  I am
considering an offer by W8JI to operate his station in the TBDC next
year QRP to see what can be done with 4.5 watts output (the power limit
for QRP is "less than 5 watts") and really good 160 M antennas.
Normally, I like to run high power regardness of the resultant score
reduction because I like to make the most QSOs possible and therefore
have the most fun.  I still think that is best for those without really
good antennas.  But, the scoring in this contest is designed to reward
QRP stations with very good antennas and it might be fun to give that a
try.  Next year, maybe someone else might like to do the same thing at
K4WI, NQ4I, W4AN, N4PN, WA4TT or other stations with good 160 meter set ups?

73,

John, K4BAI.