[SECC] Re:

Subject: [SECC] Re:
From: k4sb at earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Fri Dec 19 22:48:11 2003
Scott Straw wrote:
> I've rearranged the second floor office and made room on a desk for the
> TS-120, so after the first of the year, I'm going to look at putting a coax
> up to the  attic where I can run some wires.  I have a room full of
> computers, what do you guys do to keep them from making noises in your
> radios,and how do you keep your HF RF from biting your computers?
-------------------
Nice going Scott.

1. If you can, remove the carpet on 3 sides of the room and put down a
grid of wires to serve as a ground Do not attempt to run a ground from
the room to earth. Length will probably be close to resonance on one
of the bands. Ground everything to this grid.

2. I have installed AC line input filters on all my computer power
supplies.

3. Take a compass bearing on the length of your attic. You very well
may find that it is
in a favorable direction, in which case, you can put a wire beam up
there.

4. Bet your house is at least 70' long. You can put a couple of
standoffs on the roof and mount a dipole up there.

5 I would suggest if at all possible, you run the coax to a remote
antenna switch This way, you can feed several antennas at once. Also,
I would try to run the coax and control line down the inside of the
wall. If you drill a very very small hole in the ceiling, as close to
the framing as possible ( and I would suggest an outside wall ),
you can stick a short length of #18 wire up through the hole, go into
the attic, find the wire, measure the offset, and drill right through
the top 2x4. Then it's just a matter of measuring the horizontal
distance from a wall to the hole, and you can then
cut out a section of the wall about 14" high to take a AC switch box.
Cut the top off
the switch box, plug er in, and route your coax down from the attic.

Hope this helps.

73
Ed