[SECC] 1 5/8" 50 ohm hardline

Subject: [SECC] 1 5/8" 50 ohm hardline
From: k4sb at earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Thu Nov 13 22:48:50 2003
I may have the opportunity to pick up some large quantities of 1 5/8
50 Ohm hardline at a good price in the next week.
Is it worth messing with?
Thanks
K4NO
--------------------
Boy, this is a hard one. The disadvantages are obviously going to be
the weight per foot of the stuff, and transitioning to regular coax. A
little mess up here can completely negate the advantage.

When one considers the very small improvement in loss, compared to
other lines, I think I'd pass.

Unless you just had a 220,000 volt high voltage line dropped to your
house as the input to a power supply transformer...):>

Again, I'd like to point out either .5 or .75" hardline is much easier
to work with and with minimal losses when transitioning. I know I've
preached on this before, but everyone simply must remember that an
electrical 1/2 wave ( or multiples thereof )of ANY impedence line may
be inserted into a 50 ohm line and you will never know it, except for
the lower loss.

73
Ed
inserted into any 50 ohm line at any point without