[SECC] Vertical Followup - Actually 4 Sqare

Subject: [SECC] Vertical Followup - Actually 4 Sqare
From: k4sb@earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 03:16:25 +0000
"Macie, Gordon" wrote:

> As you can see the insulators are a big cost I didn't think about. Could use
> some suggestions..

In actuality, a 2 element shortened beam will do better than a 4
square, and mounted at a height of about 70', will be formiable.

As for insulators, I once had a full half wave 40 vertical made from
3" irregation
pipe. The insulator was a glass coke bottle filled with anti-freeze.
You really have to guy the first 20 feet well, but in 4 years of use,
the coke bottle never broke.

I'm sure there are also other bottles which would serve as well, but
I'm not at all sure
beer bottles should be used...the temptation might be too great!

Another thing you might do, depending on the size of the bottom pipe,
is get some of Allen Bonds fiber glass spreaders and create a solid
length.

73
Ed