[SECC] county line QSOs in Georgia QSO Party

Subject: [SECC] county line QSOs in Georgia QSO Party
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:47:49 -0400
My recollection is that we had the rule of no county-line QSOs due to
the difficulty with the logchecking program decyphering the mults and
that CT and NA would not accept more than one county info per QSO.
Apparently Writelog has a module that can be configured to account for
that, but the current one does not.  So, that module would have to be
modified to account for any such rule change.

NA and CT do not have the ability to show two counties on the QTH line.
If you double up the QSOs, then you artificially inflate the number of
QSOs actually made.  The logging programs and logchecking programs would
probably work OK for QSOs shown this way.

My other objection is that it encourages mobiles to operate in possibly
dangerous situations, where there is insufficient shoulder to safely
park on, etc.  I'd rather they were in motion on the road or parked
safely well off the road in each county.

I am opposed to permitting county-line QSOs at all.  If they are
permitted, then the QSOs also should be doubled to make the logging
programs and log checking programs work correctly.  In Illinois, the
rules just say to count multiple QSOs and multipliers for each of the
multi-county line counties.  In Texas, they insist on separate QSOs for
each county in a county-line situation, which is really stupid sounding
and wastes a lot of time.  "OK, QSL the first county.  Now here is the
second one, 59 in XXX county.  Am I still 59 in GA?  OK, now here the
third county is ZZZ county.  What is my report for ZZZ county, etc."

I'd like to leave this rule alone or change it to say just no
county-line QSOs are permitted.

73,

John, K4BAI.