[SECC] How do I know if this thing REALLY works

Subject: [SECC] How do I know if this thing REALLY works
From: Gary Breed" <gary@highfrequencyelectronics.com (Gary Breed)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:46:49 -0400
Roger

A better spacing is 1/8 wave or slightly more (about 8-10 feet on 20M). A
properly tuned 2-element quad or delta loop beam has close to 50 ohms feedpoint
impedance. If you change the spacing and the SWR gets closer to 1:1, that's one
indication that the antenna is working.

73, Gary
K9AY
_____________

> Folks,
>
> I recently got a wild hair up my rectifier and came up with a hair-brained
idea to add an element to my 20M delta loop.  I got the thing up for a while
Saturday, but I really don't know if I have gained anything besides that "look"
from the XYL. You know that "look."  You've seen it  - you've earned it, too!

> Anyway, being the cheap, thrifty, frugal op that I am (all wires at the QTH),
is there any on-air or poor man's test that can be performed to check if I am
getting the expected performance gain?  I did get an on-air SWR of about 1.6:1,
but I already had that with the single element.  Electrically, I'm spacing the
elements 3/8 wave apart and the feedpoint is about 30 feet up.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  If this doesn't work, I'm only out $20 in PVC and
dowel rods, so it's no great loss.