[SECC] Amps

Subject: [SECC] Amps
From: K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:48:26 -0400
> I'm in the market for a new legal limit amp.  Automatic band change models
> are too rich for me.  As RFI-proof as possible.  I'm leaning toward the
> Alpha 99.  Any recommendations?
> 73,
> Jay, K4OGG

I am completely happy with my Alpha 99 -- I got it at the end of 2000 at a
reduced price of $2900, before Crosslink bought AlphaPower. The only negative is
that 15M tuning is a bit touchy, but there are no verniers on the tune and load
knobs. The Svetlana tubes are inexpensive and rugged, and other components are
quality. The folks at Crosslink aren't tinkering with the products so far, and
as long as Glenn AE0Q is with them, service will be tops. Be sure to get the
extra cooling fan for the XFMR and rectifier compartment.

The Commander amps look pretty good, and along with QRO, are straightforward
designs.

The Ameritron AL-1200 is popular as W4AN notes, with both a rugged tube and a
good watts-per-dollar value. I have some concerns about Ameritron quality
control -- I had to finish assembling the AL-811H I bought in 1996! The wires
were not connected between the transformer and filament choke -- it's clear that
they don't do a final test of any sort. I saw no evidence of such testing when I
visited MFJ last August. On the other hand, I've been to Alpha a couple times
and there were always a few amps on the testing racks being burned in.

73, Gary
K9AY