[SECC] WPX, 30 hours, and conditions

Subject: [SECC] WPX, 30 hours, and conditions
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:58:42 -0500
I spent 6.5 hours mainly on 10 and 40 making 515 QSos.  I was not attempting
to work a mass of stations just target a few
and that worked well.  The amp did have a SWR overlimit cutoff problem on 10
but using the tuner overcame most of the problem.
The SO2R worked well as I spent 1 hour running EU on 10 and using the second
transceiver to pick up new mults.  Put 135 EU in the log
during the hour and added 7 new mults for a total of 142 in that hour.  I
missed the chance to run the far East on Sat AM Z and Sun AM Z the band was
wiped out except for N/S and a few VK/ZL and two AF stations (9G5MD, D44AC).

Good periods of S&P on 40 but two attempts at running provided mixed
results.   For some reason we had great conditions to EA to 9A
but poor conditions to the UK and Scandinavia.  SK0X was weak and watery but
nearby ES9C was loud.

If one had put in 30 hours on 10 single band I calculate a single op
unassisted would have 1900 Q's from my location 76 ft KT34XA and LK500NTC
hitting 1100 watts out.   On 40 SSB the going would be rougher with 1050 to
1100 Q's.   I did run into the duplicates that weren't
as per my earlier message. The other problem I had was stations not hearing
me on the high end (7280 to 7296).  Then the next night I worked those few
stations (one UR6F said I was very loud).  I also had no problem on the high
end.  Go figure...guess that's called 40!
Equipment used a 2 el Cushcraft 40 at 85' and the same LK500NTC 1200 watts
on average.

I did bring out the Henry 2K (1100 watts out) on 20 SSB for 86 Q's in a one
hour S&P (did not try running there). Plenty of EU at 0700 to 0800Z.  Never
did fire up the 8877 on 80 or 160.   I listened and activity seemed down and
with the thunderstorms I decided not to try.

Sounds like several found good conditions with some fine scores turned in.
Trey at HC8N was well over 5K QSOs 24 hours in.  Maybe the docs will let me
shoot for a 20 hour run next time or a limited all band assisted
effort...stay tuned.

73 Dave K4JRB