[SECC] CQ160M SSB Contest

Subject: [SECC] CQ160M SSB Contest
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:14:33 -0500
On 2/15/02 10:38 AM, n4uk@mindspring.com at n4uk@mindspring.com wrote:

>What are you guys planning on doing in the 160m SSB contest as far as
>frequency use is concerned???

My recommendation would be try to to stay above 1843 as much as possible.

>Is the FCC going to issue warnings to
>contesters if they operate from 1803 and up during the contest?

According to the existing regulations, SSB modulation is permissible in
the entire 160m band. So, the FCC can't "warn" you for that.

However, there are prohibitions against willful interference. The FCC has
cited people for willful interference. Going against a recognised
bandplan is a contributing factor in that. So, it is something to
consider.

>If SSB use
>during the contest is going to be restriced to 1843 and above there are
>going to be problems with all the casual users of 160m that use the
>frequencies above 1920. Last year in the CQ160 SSB there were SSB
>contesters all the way up to 1925 or so. Adhering to the new frequency
>standard will push everyone up to 1970. What a mess it's going to be.

It will take some adjustment, but hey, it is a contest.

>There are going to be some big frequency battles for the territory around
>1843-1870.If I hear contesters from 1803 and up during the CQ 160 SSB
>contest in two weeks I'll be right there with them.

I certainly wouldn't blame you for answering a CQ in that portion of the
band, but I wouldn't take it as carte blanche to do the same yourself.

>Anyone know CQ's
>policy on this??? This whole 160m frequency/mode mess is becoming a drag.....

I think CQ has decided they aren't taking sides on the issue.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901