[SECC] Fwd: [CQ-Contest] ARLB007 ARRL Board Adopts Modified Novice Band

Subject: [SECC] Fwd: [CQ-Contest] ARLB007 ARRL Board Adopts Modified Novice Band Refarming Plan
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:21:31 -0500
On 1/23/02 10:17 AM, Jay Pryor at jpryor@ARCHES.UGA.EDU wrote:

>So we are going to lose some of the CW band?  Yes, I know we can operate CW
>on the phone band, but in actual fact "expanding the phone band" means the
>CW band loses.

One other thing occurs to me.

One benefit of this future petition wasn't mentioned -- Novice and
Tech-Plus operators get access to the General-class portions of 80, 40,
15 and 10. This means they are no longer relegated to a less-desirable
subband on these bands.

Isn't that a GOOD thing? Won't that help to encourage CW operating? A
Tech-Plus who gets interested in QRP, say, won't have to slug it out with
multi MW Region 1 QRM on 40m.

In my opinion, this part of the proposal is LONG overdue. It ought to
have been part of the Novice enhancement of 1987.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901