[SECC] The half time report

Subject: [SECC] The half time report
From: mcondon@attglobal.net (Michael Condon)
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 17:23:37 -0500
At the 160m CW halftime break from NE4S, 228 q's, 55 mults, 1 country for
25,002.
I have a decent chance of reaching the 40K goal.  Not a biggie, but all
efforts add to the pot.
Observations:
A lot of junk noise here, only antenna is the 70' wire vertical up the side
of the tree.
Visitors took up 6pm to 10pm at startup.

I use 250 Hz filter when the crowd gets bad, or someone is very strong and
near.
Backing off the RF gain, dropping the AGC full off and careful use of
attenuation helps in situations.

S and P until few new mults were found, then pick a spot and run.
Running from a smaller station may fall off after the "good ears" find you.
Then a bit more of S/P.
You also get stomped on a lot, so usually moving a bit is the better part of
valor.
Unless someone just is being a "lid", then send pointed QSY messages. Hi
I find I get "zero beat" jumped sometimes too, someone is zero beat on my RX
freq and wailing away.
I know they know it, but such is the life.

Only country other than VE is ZF, actually this year I do not hear near as
much DX as last year.
Probably more noise here.  Last time I could hear them even if I could not
work them.

Second day goal is more running, hoping to hit 400 q's to reach the score
goal while getting the easy multipliers filled in.
Need a few multipliers from W1, W2, Most all W6s, a few W7s, and most of the
VEs
I may miss the 4PM/1.850 date, I have a family comittement at 3PM.

That's it at half time, now for the half time show... shopping.

Mike, NE4S