[SECC] K9AY SSCW

Subject: [SECC] K9AY SSCW
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:09:40 -0500
Gary's score is really to be admired.  I guess I need his antennas.
With full legal power, or nearly so, I made less than 300 more QSOs than
Gary made with 5 watts.  If I had run 100 watts, Gary probably would
have beat my score.  Of course, I knew W4AN would win the high power
category, but I ran high power too to check out my recently purchased
Alpha 78 amp and to try to have more fun and be called by more of the
lower power stations.  I only heard a few stations who called, but I
couldn't pull out their info.  Unfortunately, one of them was K7SS.

With regard to the Maritime mult, I was called early on by VE9HF.  I
heard, but did not work another VE9 who was doing S&P.  Then I did work
Andy, VE9DX, late in the contest in a trememdous pileup.  I could hear
him fine, but most of the others he answered didn't know who he was
working, so he gave my call four times before giving the exchange.
Guess he was QSK and was giving my call until everyone else stopped
calling.  He had a peculiar chirpy note.

Thought the NL mult was probably even more scarce.  VO1GO called me
early in the contest and I never heard him or any other VO station
again.

My score was 1044 x 80 = 167,040.  23 hours, 59 minutes.  FT1000MP,
Alpha 78, TH6DXX, low dipole for 40, inverted vee apex at 45 feet for
80.

73,

John, K4BAI.