[SECC] K5OT - SS CW Comments

Subject: [SECC] K5OT - SS CW Comments
From: k5ot@mindspring.com (Larry Hammel K5OT)
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:04:05 -0500

Here's my contribution ... sure wish I would have had a bit more time this
year.

   80CW       74          74        148      14
   40CW      130         130        260      32
   20CW      109         109        218      13
   15CW       85          85        170      16
   10CW       25          25         50       2

 Totals      423         423        846      77

    Final Score = 65,142 points.

Operating time: about 9 hours

Mults missed (but heard): MAR NL VT

Operating environment: front seat of GMC pickup truck in the parking lot of
a nearby elementary school.  IC706@100w/High Sierra/laptop/fresh air.

There's something to be said for change.  This year I could only manage a
part-time effort and decided to participate from the 'mobile'.  I've had a
lot more Q's and many sweeps from home stations in prior SS's, but I have to
say that I enjoyed this year's action (almost) as much as any other. If you
take away antenna choices, or power, or a second radio, or operating time,
or whatever - you have to focus more intently on the variables you can
impact.  This time, I found myself really concentrating on partial callsign
recognition.  Is there a more important skill while S&Ping?  There are many
clues besides just the frequency occupied ... like keying speed, rhythm,
tone, and others. And there's no substitute for regular contest
participation either. Great ops can identify many CW stations after hearing
only a letter or two. I need a LOT more practice.

In this age of computer-generated CW, it's still great to hear a few of the
guys come back to you with their Sideswipers slinging out the exchange.
Music, indeed!

SS-Phone in two weeks.
CQWW-CW in three weeks.
ARRL-160, ARRL-10, and Stew Perry in December.
Plenty of contest choices every weekend!
http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/contestcal.html

73,
Larry K5OT