[SECC] CQ taking only electronic logs

Subject: [SECC] CQ taking only electronic logs
From: mcondon@attglobal.net (Michael Condon)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:08:08 -0400
Hi,
The CQ announcement may be a step forward, even if for a strange reason.  I
cannot think of a reason why a soft form of log cannot be sent by 99 percent
of the participants in contests today.  This is particularly true of the
members of contest clubs who form such groups to participate in and further
contesting activity. (Y'all)  From Free to Shareware, to Low Priced to High
priced, the range of the cost of log software is $0 to under $100.  An
aftermarket IF filter costs more than a logger, and the logger will get you
more contacts via dupes, searches and matches.
So, I support this movement, but as you may know, I have a bias, HI.

That said, if you want to put some info into a Cabrillo file by hand, there
are header tags that allow the info to be inserted.  You can do this with
"notepad" in Winxxxx or "WinPad", or your favorite ascii text word processor
in your computer of choice.  Below is a sample of the first part of a
Cabrillo file.  The format is simple, a keyword, a colon, and some info.
The keyword is in caps, the rest is OK either way, but caps make better
reading.  If your logger does not put an item in, just insert a blank line
and type it in your self.
To keep it most simple, you could just add some more "SOAPBOX:" lines and
type it freehand to be read by the scorers.

START-OF-LOG: 2.0
CONTEST:MESSY SHACK CONTEST
CALLSIGN:K4USI
OPERATORS:NE4S, WB9MMR
CATEGORY:SOLP
CLAIMED-SCORE:2
CLUB:SECC
SOAPBOX:WE WERE SINGLE OP LOST PERSONS CLASS, Roving.
SOAPBOX:SCORE WAS 2 POINTS FOR SECC
QSO:
QSO:.... ETC, a line for each qso with the contact data.

To see the results of the Messy Shack Contest, see Nov QST, pg. 44-45.
Go to http://loja.kkn.net/~trey/cabrillo/ for more detailed Cabrillo info.
I hope this helps; I do encourage all to send in electronic logs, and always
add enough info for the scorer not to have to revert to ESP.
73
Mike, NE4S