[SECC] W9WI CW SPRINT

Subject: [SECC] W9WI CW SPRINT
From: W4OC@aol.com (W4OC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:08:03 EDT
On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 10:58:00PM -0400, John T. Laney, III wrote:
> Hello guys:  Worked all ten members of the Kudzu team on at least one
> band, thanks.  Here is the bad news:  319 x 44 = 14,036.  Didn't come
> close to my goal of 350 (set by W4AN after I told him 325).

I'd have been awfully happy with 319<grin>!

I operated from home.  First time I've ever done SO2R in Sprint from here.
(did the last two from N4ZZ's station)  (I do not understand how I beat
Don.)

I think my 270/46 was pretty good given the hardware.  Radio #1 was an
IC-765 and AL-80A to a C4 (65') and 80m dipole.  (60')  Radio #2 was a
TS-940 - no amp - to a Windom.  (60')  Radio #2 had to be operated with 20dB
of attenuation in line to prevent the other rig from wiping it out.  (10dB
may have been enough but I burned out the 10dB attenuator working SO2R in SS
last fall without enough physical separation between the antennas...  And
being the procrastinating type I am, a year later I still haven't fixed
it..)

I was plenty loud on radio #1.  I *felt* loud on radio #2 on 80 and 40, but
didn't get many answers to CQs so it really wasn't working quite that well.
Got beat out a LOT on 20 on radio 2.

The only missed mult I can think of was Trey TG9/N5KO.  Like John found with
K3JT, I was just out of sync.  (I did work K3JT on 80 and 40, and landed
N4ZR in WV on 40.  Don't think Pete was very serious though.)  Worked LW9EUJ
a few minutes before the contest but couldn't land him after 0000.  Did land
XE1RGL on 20 for my one DX mult.  (also LY1DS but of course he wasn't a
mult)

My mult count matched what I got at Don's station in February.  The QSO
count was 37 lower, but that really wasn't a surprise given the difference
in stations.  The band distribution was very similar to February, except
that I was about 25 QSOs short on 80.  I think I just switched bands (on the
main radio) later.

Made the Top Ten in February -- in band changes.  (116)  Won't be nearly
that high this time, only made 82.  (that'd still be Top Ten territory in
February)  Sounds like I'm paying too much attention to the second radio.

I think the big lesson I learned from this operation is that it's critical
to be loud on *both* radios.  The optimum solution would be to buy another
amplifier & put up another tribander.  If that doesn't prove possible by
February, I may put the Windom on Radio 1 and let the no-amplifier rig use
the Yagi and dipoles.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66