[SECC] K9AY travel report

Subject: [SECC] K9AY travel report
From: gabnjb@earthlink.net (Gary Breed)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:33:43 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C124E7.43B70E00

I have been back in town for a few days after a nearly 3-week excursion =
visiting family and friends, along with some effort at job =
hunting/business development. After being away five years, I finally had =
a chance to spend some time with a few well-known Coloradp contesters.

I had great visits with W1XE, AA0RS, K0RF, W0UN, K0EU, N2IC and W0UO. =
N2IC was hosting two contesting beginners for NAQP -- I'm sure some of =
you worked K0DE. Steve is looking forward to WRTC2002; John W0UN appears =
to have recovered well from heart valve replacement last January and is =
"about 1/3" moved from Colorado to the Texas Hill Country. John has a =
huge (REALLY HUGE) stash of towers, antennas, machinery and "stuff" so =
moving is a major undertaking. Randy K0EU has not been very active =
lately, but is upgrading his antenna system from two KT-34XAs to three =
TH-7s and should be ready to go again this fall. W1XE has dragged AA0RS =
from 160 meters into VHF contesting -- and it's not just because George =
is Dave's boss. Dave had fun in the June contest, getting two grids on =
474 THz (lightwave). K0RF is enjoying retirement by keeping all his M/M =
hardware functional. He always needs operators, too. W0UO is in Texas, =
and we found some great deals at the Radio Shack and Tandy outlets and a =
few surplus stores.

These guys, plus W0CP, KC0D (SK) and K0NA are responsible for getting me =
interested in contesting in the mid-1980s. Although I did lots of =
homebrewing before that, my operating was mostly ragchewing and very =
casual DXing. Boy has that changed!

I'll see some of you at the Huntsville Hamfest this weekend -- I'm =
speaking at 3:00 Sat. in the QRP Forum -- "Operating QRP in Major =
Contests."  I'll also be going to the Shelby Hamfest on Sep. 1-2 -- I =
hope some of our SC and NC members will have a chance to make a "live" =
meeting.

73, Gary
K9AY

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C124E7.43B70E00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have been back in town for a few days =
after a=20
nearly 3-week excursion visiting family and friends, along with =
some&nbsp;effort=20
at&nbsp;job hunting/business development. After being away five years, I =
finally=20
had a chance to spend some time with a few well-known Coloradp=20
contesters.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had great visits with W1XE, AA0RS, =
K0RF, W0UN,=20
K0EU, N2IC and W0UO.&nbsp;N2IC was hosting two contesting beginners for =
NAQP=20
--&nbsp;I'm sure some of you&nbsp;worked K0DE.&nbsp;Steve =
is&nbsp;looking=20
forward to WRTC2002; John W0UN appears to have recovered&nbsp;well from =
heart=20
valve replacement last January and is "about 1/3" moved from Colorado to =
the=20
Texas Hill Country. John has a huge&nbsp;(REALLY HUGE)&nbsp;stash of =
towers,=20
antennas, machinery and "stuff" so moving is a major undertaking. Randy =
K0EU has=20
not been very active lately, but is upgrading his antenna system from =
two=20
KT-34XAs to three TH-7s and should be ready to go again this fall. W1XE =
has=20
dragged AA0RS from 160 meters into VHF contesting -- and it's not just =
because=20
George is Dave's boss. Dave had fun in the June contest, getting two =
grids on=20
474 THz (lightwave). K0RF is enjoying retirement by keeping all his M/M =
hardware=20
functional. He always needs operators, too.&nbsp;W0UO is in Texas, and =
we found=20
some great deals at the Radio Shack and Tandy outlets and a few surplus=20
stores.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>These guys, plus&nbsp;W0CP, KC0D (SK) =
and K0NA are=20
responsible for getting me interested in contesting in the mid-1980s. =
Although I=20
did lots of homebrewing before that, my operating was mostly ragchewing =
and very=20
casual DXing. Boy has that changed!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'll see some of you at the Huntsville =
Hamfest this=20
weekend -- I'm speaking at 3:00 Sat. in the QRP Forum -- "Operating QRP =
in Major=20
Contests."&nbsp; I'll also be going to the Shelby Hamfest on Sep. =
1-2&nbsp;-- I=20
hope some of our SC and NC members will have a chance to make a "live"=20
meeting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>73, Gary</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>K9AY</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C124E7.43B70E00--