[SECC] IARU - CW LP

Subject: [SECC] IARU - CW LP
From: jpryor@arches.uga.edu (Jay Pryor)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:17:19 -0400
I used this contest to check out my 2R setup so I didn't operate the full
24 hours and stopped operating several times to fix stuff that I otherwise
would have done later. I was tempted to do mixed mode but figured that
since my main focus was to check out the use of the second radio, I'd just
do CW.

This contest started out like a NAQP.  I had some fairly decent rates
early, but they were all NA stations.  I couldn't make any EU folks hear
me, with a bunch of them calling CQ in my face Saturday afternoon.  I took
a break and watched some TV and when I came back around 2100Z the bands
were open both ways.

20 was good through the night.  The low bands were noisy but about what you
might expect for GA in the summer.  We were very lucky that we had good
weather (no thunderstorms) throughout the period.

I feel good about the new (for me) second radio.  One of the problems I had
early was RF messing up the keying on the second radio, but when I made up
a shielded keying cable that took care of the problem.  Next year I may get
more serious about this contest.

Too bad there isn't a low power category.

Here's the executive summary:

    BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Zones

   160CW       10          10         14       2         2
    80CW       63          63        111       3         6
    40CW      164         163        371      18        14
    20CW      515         511       1879      22        21
    15CW      214         214        556      23        12
    10CW       57          57         99       3         5

  Totals     1023        1018       3030      71        60

     Final Score = 396930 points.