[SECC] 160m Band Plan

Subject: [SECC] 160m Band Plan
From: dxcc@dbtech.net (Allan and Bridget)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:56:08 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C0B0E0.EEA61AC0

Actually, I can see both points (Bill's and Vic's)...I don't want a =
forced split situation, but I think that split should be encouraged.  I =
know that 160m ops are supposed to be some of the better ops, but I just =
don't see it when it comes to DX pileups...voice or CW.  I sat and =
listened to a Uruguay station for 2 hours...I think he came back to me 3 =
different times but because of the rabid fellows calling non-stop a QSO =
was very difficult....  In the meantime I heard him come back to others =
who would completely double with him (obviously not hearing a thing he =
sent) and others who insisted on sending their calls even when their =
call did not resemble the call he sent.  If this person had been split =
there would have been a lot less frustration, I have a feeling, on his =
end as well as ours.  In contrast, the 3G0Y station worked split and =
probably worked 5 or more to the other station's 1.  I realize that =
split operations are harder during a contest, but I've seen it done =
successfully (on other bands besides 40m)...especially on CW when the =
split doesn't have to depend so much on avoiding splatter (we won't get =
into key clicks here...LOL).  And if a station is rare enough, people =
will put up with the split.  An example is the K5K operation working up =
5  on CW during the CQWW SSB contest.  I don't remember a whole lot of =
grief being given to this station.  I also remember the frustration of =
hearing the VP6BR station calling CQ and not being able to hear him =
adequately because a statesider was calling CQ right on top of =
him...probably wondering why he was being deemed a LID (both on CW in =
this case).  I don't know what the answer is, but we do need one, and I =
tend to think that it is going to take more than simply having a sacred =
DX window...as ON4UN points out, we are all DX for someone...
Just .02 from someone who does DXing and contesting on this band...
Bridget, KS4YT :0)

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C0B0E0.EEA61AC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Actually, I can see both =
points (Bill's=20
and Vic's)...I don't want a <STRONG>forced</STRONG> split situation, but =
I think=20
that split should be encouraged.&nbsp; I know that 160m ops are supposed =
to be=20
some of the better ops, but I just don't see it when it comes to DX=20
pileups...voice or CW.&nbsp; I sat and listened to a Uruguay station for =
2=20
hours...I think he came back to me 3 different times but because of the =
rabid=20
fellows calling non-stop a QSO was very difficult....&nbsp; In the =
meantime I=20
heard him come back to others who would completely double with him =
(obviously=20
not hearing a thing he sent) and others who insisted on sending their =
calls even=20
when their call did not resemble the call he sent.&nbsp; If this person =
had been=20
split there would have been a lot less frustration, I have a feeling, on =
his end=20
as well as ours.&nbsp; In contrast, the 3G0Y station worked split and =
probably=20
worked 5 or more to the other station's 1.&nbsp; I realize that split =
operations=20
are harder during a contest, but I've seen it done successfully (on =
other bands=20
besides 40m)...especially on CW when the split doesn't&nbsp;have to =
depend so=20
much on avoiding splatter (we won't get into key clicks =
here...LOL).&nbsp; And=20
if a station is rare enough, people will put up with the split.&nbsp; An =
example=20
is the&nbsp;K5K operation&nbsp;working up 5&nbsp; on CW during the CQWW =
SSB=20
contest.&nbsp; I don't remember a whole lot of grief being given to this =

station.&nbsp; I also remember the frustration of hearing the VP6BR =
station=20
calling CQ and not being able to hear him adequately because a =
statesider was=20
calling CQ right on top of him...probably wondering why he was being =
deemed a=20
LID (both on CW in this case).&nbsp; I don't know what the answer is, =
but we do=20
need one, and I tend to think that it is going to take more than simply =
having a=20
sacred DX window...as ON4UN points out, we are all DX for=20
someone...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Just&nbsp;.02 from someone =
who does DXing=20
and contesting on this band...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Bridget, KS4YT=20
:0)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C0B0E0.EEA61AC0--