[SEDXC] Re: [SECC] 160 band plan comments

Subject: [SEDXC] Re: [SECC] 160 band plan comments
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:46:17 -0500
On 3/16/01 9:05 AM, Gary Breed at gary@noblepub.com wrote:

>The issue of a 160M band plan has arisen, I believe, for two reasons:
>
>2. More recently, digital mode proponents have been independently
>setting their own band plans and recommended calling frequencies,
>with little or no consideration for present band usage.

Yup. In one instance, a PSK31 calling frequency was set up in the middle
of the traditional DX window(!).

> The first
>good example is setting a digital calling frequency on 40M at 7040
>-- which for many, many years has been the QRP calling frequency.

Unfortunately, in Region 1, it remains a digital calling frequency. What
can you do? Region 1 has such limited access to 40m. 7040 is a good
frequency for that region, regardless of its use in Region 2.

>When the same digital groups looked at 160 and recommended frequencies
>in the "DX Window," a few Topband enthusiasts were more than a little
>ticked off!

To say the least!

>Re 40M SSB:  Perhaps 15% of the time, the requirement of working split
>is an advantage.  The other 85% of the time it is the biggest pain
>in the a__ on the ham bands.  The IARU and ARRL should pursue the band
>expansion plan of 6900-7100 worldwide.

I'd like to go back to the good old days when it was 7-8 MHz.

Of course, back then, it was CW only.... Hmm.....

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901