[SECC] NAQP SSB NJ8J SO

Subject: [SECC] NAQP SSB NJ8J SO
From: Ben Coleman" <oloryn@mindspring.com (Ben Coleman)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:35:55 -0500
                     North America QSO Party - SSB

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: SO LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 09:30

  160:
   80:     60     22
   40:    136     32
   20:     57     29
   15:     74     28
   10:     23     17
----------------------
Total:    350    128  =  44,800

Club/Team: SECC Team #2

Comments:

Equipment:

110' foot sloppy doublet up 15 to 35 feet (not to mention questions on
how you count height over sloped ground).
LDG AT-11MP Automatic Antenna AND MFJ-969 manual tuner
Alinco DX-77T at about 70w out (if you believe the MFJ meter)

Another entry from the Bedsprings Brigade.  This was, I believe, my
first NAQP Phone.  I got something of a slow start because my new LDG
tuner managed to 'automatically' tune on 10 meters to a setting that
produced a low SWR, but didn't work with the antenna very well.  It
took a few minutes of not being heard at all before I twigged to the
fact that I wasn't hearing background noise.  I gave up on 10 for the
moment and switched down to 15.  Later I managed to manually tune the
LDG to a usable setting on 10, so 10 wasn't completely lost.

When I got down to 75 I knew I was going to have a problem.  I have
previously noticed what look like "RF in the processor" problems with
the LDG tuner on 75 (oddly enough, not on 80) and I didn't have a
chance to work on it before the contest.  I didn't relish dropping the
transmitter down to 5 watts to eliminate the problem, so I dragged out
the MFJ-969 tuner (which the LDG had replaced) and wired it between the
doublet and the LDG.  A little strange, but it worked (and worked
better than just using the MFJ, which tends to tune rather narrowly on
75, requiring a fair bit of touch-up as you tune across the band).  I
ended up losing a half hour to setting this up, but at least I ended up
being able to get out on 75 decently (for Bedsprings Brigade values of
'decently').

I think the LDG is trying to tell me "You need more wire on the
doublet, and you need more antennas"(Yeah, a tower would be nice, but
it's not in the budget for the forseeable future).  But I managed to
beat my score on last week's NAQP CW, and had fun doing it.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn@mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at