[SECC] K4JRB status

Subject: [SECC] K4JRB status
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:38:34 -0500
Well I decided to remain CQ 160 Contests Director at least for another year.
Larry W0ETC is helping with certificates
and WT4I is helping with Cabrillo log checking software.  Unfortunately the
doctors won't let me work contests again
as yet.  I have one transceiver that needs a new relay installed and a
problem with what is called BFO/VCV (this sets
ssb and CW in the passband)..probably a bad component.  Lower SSB gets out
of kilter and sounds high pitched and CW
will not key properly.   I did pick up a second FT980 which has a few
problems buts works great on 40 to 10 plus a junker
FT980 as a parts rig.  I want to replace my ICOM 740 with a late model
transceiver but no funding at this time.  I did have a loaner FT920
and TS870...both would do fine.

I have my PC working well and writelog 10.20B installed.   I had to get
microsoft virtual machine to run this W95/98 software and the matching WT4I
software.  I use Write log for both contest and general logging.   I have
two monitors and am looking at a switch to switch monitors so I can activate
all three positions.  The first position covers  160/80 and 40 meter fall
back  with the  FT980 and 8877 amp.  I control the rig with CAT980W for
windows thru the FIF 232C.  A MFJ 432 is at this position.  Position 2 is
the Icom 740 and Henry 2K which is used on 17 and 12 meters and 10 meters
back up.  Position 3 is another FT980 and LK500NTC used on 40 to 10 meters.
The amp has a burned out load cap on 160 so it does not load there and its
hard to replace as its mounted under all the other amp components and
backward.  Carl KM1H tells me that its a 470 to 530 pf rated either 6 or
12KV.   I have an NCL2000 modified by Svetlana for the 4CX400
as a back up.  Long range plan is to have an NT network in place with a
server and lap top at each position (no old DOS software here just old
rigs).

I though I had my antennas fixed but last week I found that my 2 meter had
lost its top tubing.  Its a 2 meter Isopole and one guy told me that
lightning had caused the same problem in 2 of his.  It still loads well but
Atlanta repeaters are S5 or 6 rather than S9+ so I guess I will put my
vertical dipole back up on my pulley.   Today I noticed that my 80/75 did
not tune up on 80 and in testing it  seems the end has come off.  This is
the antenna that K4UEE told me was the loudest on 80/75 at both CE0Z and
Easter Island.   So right now all I have on this band is my Mor-Gain
Vertical dipole (66' ) which slopes toward EU and North AF.   I am going to
try and put up inverted L again in January for 160.  I may try and add
up my K9AY loops.

Seasons Greetings to everyone.

73 Dave K4JRB