[SECC] W4WA 160 Results

Subject: [SECC] W4WA 160 Results
From: AB4RU@aol.com (AB4RU@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 12:52:13 EST
Callsign Used : W4WA
         Operator : W4WA

         Category : SO/LP

Default Exchange : 599 GA

             Name : RON HOOPER
          Address : 2953 HY 51 SOUTH
   City/State/Zip : LULA, GEORGIA 30554
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : SECC

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

  160CW      982             982                1888      73         8

 Totals          982             982                1888      73         8

    Final Score = 152,928 points.

Hi Secc'ers,

I hope everyone had time to get on this past weekend. I again, started out as
a non-serious effort and put more time in than I thought.
I started getting a sore throat on Friday morning and felt bad all day before
the test started. Just before the contest started, I discovered the 24VDC
power supply I use for switching relays quit. I managed to get another one
going but it cost me some contesting time. I went to bed about 3 AM both
nights and got back on about 7 AM.

I spent most of the time calling cq and trying to hold the frequency. If you
run low power, the guys with amps like to slide in next to you. Most of them
actually moved down when I asked them to, but some would not, and it meant I
had to find another frequency in some cases. The directional beverage system
really helps to cut down on the qrm from offending stations.

Band conditions seemed to be better the second night. I was having
considerable problems working into California the first night. The signals
seemed to have some deep fades so some of the exchanges had to be fast.

The 10 meter test is next weekend, after that we can take a few weeks off
from contesting. I usually operate mixed mode in the 10 meter test but with
the good band conditions a single mode can be a full time job. Anyone else
made plans to operate next weekend?
I know NQ4I and K4WI will be going head to head, how about W4AN's station? If
I am on from home, I'll just be fooling around.

Ron W4WA