[SECC] K4OGG IARU/WRTC

Subject: [SECC] K4OGG IARU/WRTC
From: jpryor@arches.uga.edu (Jay Pryor)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:09:43 -0400
Hi Folks,

Single Op, Low Power, Mixed Mode random comments:

I hadn't decided at the start of the contest whether I would operate as a
contest or as a hunt for WRTC competitors.  I wound up trying to work
competitors.  Seemed to me that the organizers did a fantastic job
balancing the stations and it will be great to hear from K4BAI and K4UEE on
their side of the contest and what they've been doing.

Partially because of the equality of the signal strength, and because of
the speed they were going -- both modes -- it was easy to know when you had
found one of the competitors.  I never heard any of them on a band below
20M and was surprised at that.  I thought there would be more activity on
40, but basically no one was there, although I heard W4AN at W7RM calling
CQ for a while.

I don't know when I have ever heard 20M as quiet, in terms of QRN, as it
was on Saturday night. It was great, and maybe that's a reason why there
wasn't more activity on 40. 15M was THE band for most of the day Saturday.

I had worked every S5XXX I could hear on 15 and 20 by early Sunday morning
and was ready to call it quits when 10M opened up at 6 a.m., which really
livened the end of the contest and gave us an opening they obviously did
not have in other parts of the U.S.! Stations were wall-to-wall on 10M at
that time. I'm sure I never heard BAI on phone and as others have said, the
competitors could not identify themselves.  There were seven stations I
heard that I think were definitely from the U.S.

The score isn't great, but it was fun trying to find and work the
competitors.

Total of 130 Qs with the WRTC folks. Missed S546Q and S576K for the sweep.
Drat!

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Zones

   80CW        1           1          1       0         1
   40CW        8           8         14       1         2
   20CW      102         102        446       7        12
   20SSB      27          27        131       1         2
   15CW      112         112        428       9        10
   15SSB      39          39        179       1        11
   10CW       19          19         51       2         6
   10SSB      13          13         57       1         3

 Totals      321         321       1307      22        47

    Final Score = 90183 points.

73,

- Jay/K4OGG

--