FINAL--MARAC CH CW CONTEST RESULTS, SOAP BOX, HISTORICAL WINNERS, 2001 R

Subject: FINAL--MARAC CH CW CONTEST RESULTS, SOAP BOX, HISTORICAL WINNERS, 2001 RULES
From: w3dya@juno.com (w3dya@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:35:02 -0500
HI:
NOT GQP, but lots of mobile stuff someone might be interested in seeing.
Expect to be in GQP July 22/23 - GL 73 Norm W3DYA
- - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      2000 MARAC (34TH) COUNTY HUNTERS CW CONTEST RESULTS

           CTYS       --QSO TYPE--   QSO         CTY      TOTAL
AWDS CALL  ACTV  ST   FIX  DX  MOB  TOTAL   PTS  MULT     SCORE

MOBILE STATIONS
P    W9MSE   74  TOT  818  44  374  1,236  6,648  292  1,941,216
***  W3DYA   47  TX   611  39  357  1,007  6,161  295  1,817,495
P    KN4Y    50  TOT  726 105  271  1,123  5,316  292  1,552,272
     W1NN    29  TOT  354  64  250    668  4,424  246  1,088,304
  C  KN4Y    35  SC   539  63  191    793  3,719  240    892,560
  C  W9MSE   42  MI   488  28  185    701  3,403  191    649,973
  C  VE2EM   15  NY   140  41  144    325  2,505  195    488,475
  C  W1NN     9  PA   178  30  136    344  2,368  154    364,672
     KM4FO   35  TOT  225  10  123    358  2,120  126    267,120
  C  KN4Y    15  GA   186  42   81    309  1,611  111    178,821
  C  W9HB     9  IL   116  13   84    213  1,441  118    170,038
  C  W9MSE   16  IN   176   0  101    277  1,691   94    158,954
  C  W1NN    13  NJ   122  21   75    218  1,352   97    131,144
     W9MSE   13  IL   128  11   74    213  1,293   83    107,319
     KM4FO   14  IN    75   1   66    142  1,070   64     68,480
     K2NJ     2  NJ    33   8   42     83    703   70     49,210
     K4UK    14  TOT   45   9   45     99    765   57     43,605
  C  KM4FO   13  KY    93   4   28    125    533   61     32,513
     K4UK     9  GA    32   0   35     67    557   50     27,850
  C  NS7B     5  UT    22   2   27     51    437   37     16,169
     W1NN     3  NY    25   4   17     46    300   37     11,100
     KM4FO    5  IL    38   5   17     60    318   32     10,176
  C  K0ZT     4  CO    22   0   17     39    277   29      8,033
  C  W9MSE    3  WI    26   5   14     45    261   25      6,525
  C  KM4FO    3  TN    19   0   12     31    199   23      4,577
  C  W1NN     1  CT     9   2   11     22    184   20      3,680
  C  W1NN     2  MD    15   5    8     28    160   16      2,560
  C  K4UK     2  VA     7   6    7     20    142   11      1,562
  C  W1NN     1  DE     5   2    3     10     60    8        480
     K4UK     3  TN     6   3    3     12     66    6        396
     Total  284

FIXED STATIONS
P    WC5D     1  TX    87   4  230    321  3,557  253    899,921
P    WB2ABD   1  NY    74   7  222    303  3,439  252    866,628
  C  WB6IYS   1  CA    78   5  216    299  3,343  255    852,465
  C  AB7RW    1  WA    45   3  183    231  2,805  208    583,440
  C  WA3HAE   1  PA    94   8  132    234  2,114  202    427,028
  C  W4RKV    1  TN    32   3  153    188  2,342  180    421,560
     W2EZ     1  NY    24   6  146    176  2,244  156    350,064
  C  K5IID    1  WV    78  12   80    170  1,338  149    199,362
  C  W0IZV    1  CO    18   3   69     90  1,068   85     90,780
  C  AA9KH    1  IL    59   2   41    102    684   94     64,296
  C  W8WVU    1  MI    57   5   40    102    682   87     59,334
  C  KR1B     1  MA    14   0   53     67    809   67     54,203
     N1QY     1  MA    46  13   39     98    696   75     52,200
     K7IOO    1  WA    16   2   55     73    851   53     45,103
  C  W0GXQ    1  MN     9   3   46     58    714   57     40,698
     K0ZT     1  CO     2   0   46     48    692   49     33,908
P    VA3RJ    0  ONT    5   0   45     50    680   49     33,320
  C  K4ADI    1  SC    23   0   38     61    593   56     33,208
  C  N3TG     1  VA    19   4   27     50    444   46     20,424
  C  K0OAL    1  NE    13   6   28     47    463   40     18,520
  C  K8CW     1  OH     3  39   22     64    528   24     12,672
     K6CSL    1  CA    32   2   14     48    252   44     11,088
     W7DRA    1  CA    34   0   10     44    184   44      8,096
     KD8HB    1  OH     4   0   21     25    319   25      7,975
     W4TYU    1  TN    14   0   17     31    269   28      7,532
     W8YL     1  MI     2   2   16     20    252   18      4,536
  C  W3UT     1  MD    15   0   11     26    180   23      4,140
     WA2MUA   1  NY     6   3   10     19    171   19      3,249
     N6GL     1  CA     4   0    9     13    139   13      1,807
  C  N0WM     1  MO     4   0    9     13    139   12      1,668
     WA3GYW   1  MD     8   2    6     16    108   14      1,512
     WB7AIV   1  WA     3   1    6     10     98    9        882
     W5NR     1  TX     1   0    5      6     76    6        456
     W8PN     1  OH     0   0    2      2     30    2         60
     KB9AMG   1  WI     0   0    2      2     30    2         60
     Total   33

DX STATIONS
P    LY3BA     LITH.  118   0  122    240  1,948  204    397,392
  C  DL3DD     GERM.   28   0   66     95  1,018   93     94,674
  C  JA9CWJ    JAPAN    7   0    9     16    142   16      2,272

P = PLAQUE, C = CERTIFICATE,
*** CONTEST MANAGER VOLUNTARILY DECLINES AWARDS
CONTEST MANAGER COMMENTS:
Since we had a few mobiles gain entry to the all time top ten list this
year and four scores exceeded the one million points mark, it would
appear the mobile effort was a sucess.  Likewise, the fixed station
effort produced some very nice scores, although none managed to make it
to the top ten list.  And there were many who joined us for the first
time, and it's always a pleasure to welcome them.
I want to thank Alan, K8CW, who received a bunch of logs and forwarded
them promptly.
By the way, I don't need an SASE for results; I'll send results via email
or regular mail using my address file.  In addition to mailing results,
I'll also send this to the mail reflectors I can access and try to get
them on the web page (countyhunter.com).
I also appreciated the response to my request for logs, regardless of
volume.  The contest was very active and this is only reflected in the
results if logs can be included.
There was only one eyeball meeting reported during the contest (see W8WVU
below), which is always a nice event!  I know we feel it interferes with
our contest effort, but we always seem to remember them long after the
contest is history.  I'm not suggesting we start an eyeball meeting
during this contest since we're spread out all over the country, but we
shouldn't pass up an opportunity - it's worth the interruption!
Thanks to everyone who helped make this a fun and successful event; it's
still the best contest for mobiles in the world!  CU May 5/6/2001!
73, Norm, W3DYA
            ---------------------------------------
2000 MARAC (33RD) COUNTY HUNTERS CW CONTEST RESULTS - SOAPBOX
KM4FO(Dwight):  I really had a great time.  Things started out bad on
Friday night when I found that my 15M resonator would not resonate and my
rig quit on 40M at abut 1:30Z.  I put my old trusty Omni-D in the front
floorboard Saturday and headed out again.  Thanks to all the mobiles and
fixed stations for a fun weekend.
K0ZT(Jim): I did not get a lot of time to operate mobile, but it was fun
as usual.  However, I did keep trying to repeat everyone's RST back; some
mobile habits are hard to break HI!  Was looking for you on Saturday
nite on 7 MHZ but never heard you.
WB7AIV(Bob):  Don't have a computer so am sending info on the CH contest.
 My pleasure to make a few contacts, had fun!  Looking forward to next
year's contest.
K7IOO(Bill):  Lots of fun, excellent mobile ops.  Family severely limited
(my) operating time.
WA2MUA(John):  I was on for less than two hours, so these numbers are
only to add my call to the list of those who participated.
W7DRA/6(Mike): For the past few years I have operated your CH Contest and
have had a lot of fun!  I love chasing a mobile across county lines,
especially mobiles in Texas.  Although I'm not a mobile operator, I am a
loyal portable operator with my trusty modified HW16/VFO.  I was
operating at my sister's house in Marin County CA.  I know you have
eliminated the portable classification, but I would like to post a vote
for somehow working a portable category into the rules operating at other
than home county or state.  In my hurry to catch the plane, I forgot my
J38!  I found a small vice, clamped it to a 2x4 saw horse, hooked a
ground to it, connected the hot key wire to  a 3 oz fish weight, and
clanked the weight on the vice as a sort of manual key.  Everybody
slooowwweeedd down for me.  Thanks again for a good contest.
KB9AMG(Mark):  Here is the detailed log info; I only made two QSO's.  If
I remember right, condx were not very good, solar flares, etc., wiped out
the band.
N3TG(Red):  I always enjoy participating in this contest when my schedule
permits.  I was able to put in only a couple of hours, but it was
worthwhile and I added about 17 new counties overall.
W8PN(Hal): Unfortunately, my participation in the contest was minimal; I
hope to plan my emergencies a little better next year.  Keep up the good
work with the contest; we sure could use more fixed station
participation.  Maybe Joyce (KD8HB) will get the contest bug since she
has no more CH challenges.
K5IID(Tom): Fun, but next year I'm gonna be serious!
K4ADI(Frank):  I had not planned to submit a log for so few QSO's, but
here it is!
W3UT(Ray):  Thanks for your efforts!
VA3RJ(Dave):  Great contest again this year.  Missed the first half of it
due to other commitments.  Hope to see everyone again next year!
W8WVU(Al):  Condx were very poor here doing the contest; however, your /M
from Texas was always near 599.  But KN4Y/M in SC and others could not be
heard most of the time  I did meet W9MSE/M in person.  He was running
Lenawee Co. in an antique mall parking lot and I drove over and met him
about 10 pm about 10 miles from my home QTH.
W5NR(Art):  I had only one hour available, but W9MSE/M was going strong -
as usual!  Hope to be full time next year!
AA9KH(Jay):  Wow!  What an excellent event.  Really enjoyed my first
participation during this year's evnt.  Been working on the 20M CW
netfairly often of late and enjoy it, also.  But trying to keep up with
even six or seven mobiles within the range of my ground mounted dummy
load (vertical HI!) was quite interesting and challenging.  Did not
manage to spend as much time as I might have liked, but enjoyed it very
much.
W4RKV(Mitch):  The CH CW Contest was a blast.  I really enjoyed it this
year.  Propogation was very poor here Fri night and all day Sat, but Sun
was pretty good. - worked Jeff (W9MSE/M) in IN and IL on 20M, even worked
KM4FO in KY on 20M from my TN QTH.  I only worked stations on 20 and 40;
listened on 15 and 80 a few times, but heard nothing there.  Mobiles I
worked the most times:  W9MSE-40, W1NN-25, KN4Y-24, W3DYA-23.
K6CSL(Bert):  I really enjoyed this contest, though the participation did
not seem very dense, and some of my score was from snagging
non-participant stations with general CQ's.  Sun was pretty tought after
my XYL and I both got sick with some kind of stomach flue, and I wasn't
feeling too well.  Contesting is quite a challenge for me as it is, due
to my being disable with lung problems and being on oxygen 24 hours a
day.
DL3DD(Leo):  In spite of any thunderstorms, strong local QRM at evening
and worse condx on Sunday, I'm satisfied with the resuls this year.  I
never got a new county in contest last year, but got 7 new ones this
year!
KR1B(Bob):  Great fun!  Appreciate the boys who had to sacrifice mowing
the lawn or painting the house to give out the mobile counties.  I very
much approve of separate CW and SSB contests and would like to see two
MARAC CW Contests per year.  I believe that the Roadrunner should give
more coverage to upcoming MARAC CH Contests - I had to go to CQ magazine
to find details.
LY3BA(Gedas):  It's a real pitty I could not operate full time this year.
 Many new counties, lot of fun!  Thanks to all the mobiles for the
outstanding effort.  I have worked 22 different stations signing /M.  I'm
impatiently looking forward to the next year CH CW Contest.
AB7RW(Phil):  A big thank you to the mobiles.  It was fun following you
around the counties.
K4UK/M(Stan):  Sorry I wasn't able to put in more time, but we had visits
to friends in Cartersville, GA; Fayetteville, NC; and Hixson, TN.  Also I
met with Bob Lowe, G0FRL, my English counterpart of the FISTS QSL Bureau
in Atlanta.  Bob made a few contacts as W4/G0FRL from my mobile in Fulton
Co.  Great contest thought; look forward to it again next year!
WB2ABD(Paul):  Mobiles changing bands made for a very enjoyable contest.
All mobiles worked were very, very good operators.  Great job!
WB6IYS(Bill):  Had a great time this year and even managed to finish off
SC thanks to Ed (KN4Y/m).  The score is a new high for me courtesy of
those three mighty mobiles:  W9MSE, KN4Y, and W3DYA.  They accounted for
124 of my multipliers.  I think posting the results on the chcontest
reflector is a great idea.  Each of us can put up our own, and you can
publish the final results when you get it all figured out.
WC5D(Van):  We got our own weekend, we got sunspots, we got mobiles, we
got a great contst in 2000!  Doubled the number of mobile QSO's over
1999.  Worked Jeff, W9MSE, adn Ed, KN4Y, the most.  Norm, W3DYA gets my
40M award; can't work him much on intra-Texas skip.  All three are truly
dedicated, for for it, MARAC CW Contest Mobilers.  W9MSE and KN4Y
accounted for nearly half of my mobile QSO's.  But that says loads about
the number of other mobile operators out there running in 2000!  NG0T,
KM4FO, and W1NN each 10+ mobile QSO's also.  Many thanks to all!  Picked
up two of my last ten for all CW from KN4Y in SC.  At this rate, it
appears I may work my last cty for all CW during the contest one of these
years HI!  This year was my #33 entry out of 34 CW contgests, with 24 in
a row.  Obviously I wouldn't miss it.  CU in '01.
JA9CWJ(Yoshi):  I am excited about this contest.  See you next time!
KD8HB(Joyce):  Good start for Nth time?  Don't laugh!  I should have
been, and wish I had been, more acitve, but had other things to do!  (You
done good - now that you whipped Hal, W8PN, in Ohio, I suggest you
practice up to attack Alan, K8CW, next year! NM)
VE2EM/M(Andy):  A great turn-out by the mobiles this year!  My "Last
call" from Delaware Co, NY, yielded a pile-up with 13 QSO's!
W9HB(Harold):  My first MARAC Contest and it was great!  Washn't planning
on operating more than a couple of hours, but it was fun, so rearranged
schedule and was able to operate from several IL counties even though I
had to spend some hours each morning at the "saltmine."  Did not have
someone to drive while I operated, so was limited to county hopping.  It
was a challenge to find a "high open operating location" away from noisy
power lines and out of traffic flow.  The TS450S and the Outbacker worked
wll I feel and I had fun, so see you next year!  Perhaps on both the
Phone and CW weekends.
W0GXQ(Jerry):  I couldn't generate the same interest this year with the
terrible band conditions. Hope things will be different next time!
KN4Y/M(Ed):  I live in FL and this year I tried something different.  I
gave my driver a SC map and said drive through as many counties as
possible on Saturday and Sunday we will return through GA.  We got lost
many times, but ran a bunch of counties in both states.  The best part
was to give out some last counties.  I ran 10, 15, 20 and 40 meters.  15
and 20 were the most productive, 10 meters was like Aunt Sophie - dead!
The 15 points for mobile killed me in scoring; I concentrated on giving
out counties to fixed and DX stations.  The condx were OK, and I look
towards next year's contest.  Norm did a great job getting good WX
scheduled.  (I tried to explain to Ed his comments were for the results
not the RR, but you know how these famous writers are? NM)
K2NJ(Bill):  Great contest, as usual.  Problem arose when Gail told me to
get the RV ready for the weekend... naively - I though she was saying to
be "Let's pass out some counties in the CW contest."  Actually she was
saying, "He stupid! you forgot we promised to go camping with the 4H
group... now get busy."  So off to Monmouth Co. we went, and sorry to say
- stayed the entire weekend.  Then to add insult to injury, she made me
socialize with the other members of the 4H Club... I only had time to
sporadically run into the RV and operate.  Next year... gee, where have I
heard that before?
WA3GYW(Francis):  I really like county hunting and have capability to
operate 40 through 15M QRP CW and 10M SSB AM and FM Mobile.  I also
operate 6M and 2M mobile, too.  I have operated QRP CW mobile on 20M and
15M with my HW8 Xceiver I built.  73 to all county hunters!
W1NN(Hal):  I was not very well prepared for this year's contest.
Nothing new there, I'm afraid.   I returned from a business trip to Japan
on Tuesday  so I was still rather jet-lagged on Fri night.  I decided
that I should minimize my driving (Like Norm, I do all of the driving and
operating by myself) so on Fri and Sat I stuck to counties close to my PA
QTH that were familiar to me from the PQP.  I had business in Wash DC on
Mon morning so on Sun I drove back to my CT house to pack up and drove to
DC during the final hours of the contest.  This allowed me to hit a total
of 29 counties in three call areas and six states (PA, NY, NJ, CT, MD and
DE).  I was hoping to hit VA for state seven and call area number four
but the contest ended before I could get there!  I missed about three
hours of operating time during the middle of the day on Sun but I was
able to put in a pretty full effort.  It's an old story but condx didn't
seem to favor the Northeast again this year.  There were many times when
I had no propagation to the three big county producers this year:  W9MSE,
W3DYA and KN4Y.  Comparing a few of my state multipliers with Norm's,  I
found that Norm worked 35 MI counties versus only 16 for me.  Norm worked
31 SC vounties vs. 13 for me.  And he worked 30 IN counties vs. 18 for
me.  I don't understand condx these days.  It used to be that you could
at least count on working Texas all day long on 20 and 15, but there were
long stretches where I couldn't hear Norm at all.  I hope condx are more
normal next year.  Or are these normal conditions?  I had to operate the
contest without my Bug Catcher.  I lost the top part in last year's PAQP.
 I ordered the new parts but I was not able to locate the mast until
after the contest.  That hurt me a little on 40M but it wouldn't have
made any difference on 20.  On a brighter note, I thought that mobile
participation was way up this year.  I worked 21 other mobiles so
including me there were at least 22 mobiles on during the contest. (But
where are their logs?)   We need to try to get some of these folks to put
more time on the air next year and it will do a lot to draw in fixed
station participation and make the contest even more fun.
Congratulations again to Jeff for an outstanding effort.  He'll have a
tough time topping 74 counties in the future!

FOR THE RECORD - 2000

Below are scores of the top ten stations in each category of operation
for the 34 years of this contest through 2000.  Scores were adjusted
based on the pre-1996 scoring rules (3 points for mobiles and DX vs 15
and 5 points, respectively, beginning in 1996).

      MOBILES              PORTABLES                FIXED
--------------------   -------------------   ---------------------
1,548,572 K5LZO 1986   486,780 WA4PGM 1984   1,528,065 K5ZD   1986
  943,893 KB5FU 1986   318,080 N4BP   1979   1,270,332 AI9X   1986
  788,840 N5JJ  1983   309,690 K4PUZ  1972   1,028,456 N7TT   1986
  641,058 N5RM  1985   220,869 K3KX   1975   1,024,002 K9BG   1983
  605,024 W9MSE 2000   217,790 W7YS   1986     860,172 KC6CNV 1997
  560,448 WC5D  1980   199,789 K9YR   1974     726,642 W1GNR  1983
  543,382 N5JJ  1982   197,580 AD9UKM 1976     671,590 KS7T   1986
  541,368 KN4Y  2000   197,286 NX4C   1985     670,032 N7TT   1983
  530,705 W3DYA 2000   171,602 NU4O   1986     649,722 W7GHT  1983
  529,650 W9MSE 1997   164,772 K0MT   1979     628,575 W1GNR  1984

               2001 (35TH) MARAC COUNTY HUNTERS CW CONTEST
            0000Z Saturday May 5 to 2400Z Sunday May 6, 2001

The Mobile Amateur Radio Awards Club is pleased to sponsor the 35th
Annual County Hunters CW Contest.  Mobile, Portable, and Fixed operation
from every county in the US is encouraged.

RULES:  Fixed Stations may be worked only once on each band.  U.S.
Mobiles and Portables (identified by signing /M or /P) may be worked each
time they change county or band; and when operating on county lines count
as one QSO, but the receiving station may count each county as a separate
multiplier.  A station may not operate more than one transmitter at one
time.

EXCHANGE: Signal report, county, and state for U. S. stations.  Signal
report, province(Canada) or country for other stations.

SCORING: For a valid contact, one station must be in a U.S County.  One
point for Fixed stations; 15 points for U.S. Mobiles and Portables
(operating from more than one county); 5 points for DX.  Controlled Net
contacts are invalid for contest purposes.  FINAL SCORE = TOTAL QSO
POINTS times TOTAL NUMBER OF U. S. COUNTIES WORKED.

Mobiles and Portables changing states during the contest should calculate
their scores for each state and total score.  Total Overall Score must
not count a county as a multiplier more than once regardless of the
mobile's county or band.

FREQUENCIES:  CW: 3.575, 7.040, 14.050, 21.050, 28.050.  Fixed Stations
should operate above these frequencies; mobiles, below.

AWARDS:  MARAC Contest Certificates:

First Place Fixed in each State, Canadian Province, and Country.
First Place Mobile in each State.

         MARAC Contest Plaques:

1st and 2nd place Mobile in the U.S
1st and 2nd place U.S. Fixed station
1st place Canadian Station
1st place DX station.

For contest purposes, DX is any country other than the U.S., Canada, and
Mexico.

Send completed logs and summary sheet by June 8, 2001, to:
     Norm Beavers  W3DYA
     3320 McMillan Drive
     Tyler, TX 75701-8239
     or email to:  w3dya@juno.com (text or WORD .DOC files OK).