SD-User

Re: [SD-User] Cabrillo Mapping

To: sd-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [SD-User] Cabrillo Mapping
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:31:51 +0100
The QSO records in SD's .ALL file looks very like Cabrillo records but, in many cases, the fields in each QSO are in inappropriate positions.  The MAP parameter lets us take any field in the input file (the .ALL file) and place it in the appropriate position in the output file (the Cabrillo .LOG file).

Each field is identifies solely by its starting position, and its length.

MAP         :41 3 45            'RST Sent

This means - take 3 characters starting at position/column 41 in each QSO and place them at position 45 in the .LOG record - or, in terms that people with an IT background might relate to - "take 3 characters starting at position 41 in the input record and map them to position 45 in the output record".

MAP         :FIXED 0 49         'State or DX Sent

"FIXED" refers to an exchange element sent in every QSO  (state/zone/district), specified by the user at startup, that does not need to be held in each .ALL record, but which must to be included in the .LOG Cabrillo QSO.  In this case, it's your State abbreviation and it goes to position/column 49 in the Cabrillo record.  The "length" parameter has no significance, and is included as 0.

I hope that explains things.  I should have described it in the manual, and I will do that now.

73,
Paul EI5DI