Re: [RTTY] 2017 Makrothen RTTY - RAW scores posted

To: Keith Maton <g6nhu@me.com>, RTTY Contest Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 2017 Makrothen RTTY - RAW scores posted
From: Stu Phillips <stu@k6tu.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:53:17 +0000
Dear Keith,

I checked on the propagation modeling tools and since the UK joined the EU, all
propagation from the UK is via short path.

I should note that there is a revision to the models pending Brexit that will
reverse this change – per EU Regulation EU-1.77.8.1(a)(ii), any nation state
which exits from the Union will no longer be able to access the ionosphere over
Europe without the payment of additional tariffs.

I understand that Ms. May considers this of little significance to the Ham
population of the EU and is prepared to barter higher tariffs in this regard in
exchange for concessions elsewhere.  Concerned hams in the UK should contact
OFCOM when the window for comments opens on April 1, 2018.

Should this become the case, we’ll consider a modification to the Makrothen
rules post Brexit to apply a 1.1x factor to all stations participating from the
UK.

You might consider relocating to Scotland post Brexit (and their likely
succession from the United Kingdom) as I believe propagation will be enhanced
under special EU regulation EU-2.42.42.42(a) which provides subsidies for hams
located in territories which have undergone succession from their original
parent nation.

We’ll keep a close eye on the situation.

73 and Happy Contesting!
Stu K6TU (FLA N6TTO, DA4BM, G8HQA)

On 10/23/17, 2:10 AM, "RTTY on behalf of Keith Maton"