Re: [RTTY] RTTY Roundup Off Time

Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Roundup Off Time
From: Tim Gennett <timk9wx@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 09:15:58 -0500
I think some of the confusion associated with Roundup stems from the
different ways the ARRL specifies off times in different contests.

The Sweepstakes rules, for instance, explicitly include, "2.5: Off periods
may not be less than 30 minutes in length."  There is nothing like this in
the Roundup rules, so even though you understand you have to take 6 hours
off in a maximum of 2 blocks, you may not be quite sure what constitutes an
off time.

However, 3.15 of the General Rules for All ARRL Contests says: "Unless
otherwise specified, in any ARRL Contest where off time is required, the
minimum block of off time must be at least 30 minutes."

I don't see anything in the RTTY Roundup rules that contradicts this.  So,
it would be my understanding that you can take short rest periods or
breathers of 29 minutes or less during the contest and these would not
count as one of the two allowed time blocks or count against the 6 hours of
required off time.  These short rest periods are operating time and will
wreck havoc on your rates, but don't get you into trouble with the off time
or break period requirements.  If you do take a 29 minute rest period, you
need to by golly be sure you make another QSO ASAP when you sit back down
so that your rest period does not turn into an off period.

It seems like the Roundup rules would be more clear if they would include a
rule similar to 2.5 from Sweepstakes.  Redundant, perhaps, but helpful.
And not a change to the way the Roundup is run or scored, just a way to
help the casual reader or operator understand what the boundaries are.

If you read the discussion at http://www.ewarg.org/ws7i/ru_strategy.pdf you
see a mention of one operator taking a 5.75 hour break and then a .25 hour
or 15 minute break at the end of the contest.  I don't see how that works
in Roundup in light of rule 3.15 from the General Rules.

Tim K9WX