Re: [RTTY] Pondering an issue

To: <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Pondering an issue
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 19:58:39 -0700
Discussing logging software is a dangerous venture.  It is such a personal,
controversial and religious topic.  Nonetheless, here are my thoughts.

1.  Cost is irrelevant in choice of logger.  Think about it.  Even
Writelog's $30/year fee or Win-Test's 30 Euro fee every few years is exactly
equivalent to N1MM's "freeness".  Logger cost is insignificant compared to
all the other costs of this hobby.  It should not be a factor in choice of
logger.

2.  The MicroHam Router requires a separate profile for each logging
program, but that learning curve is nothing compared to learning a new
logger.  Conclusion:  this is also not a factor in deciding what logger to
use.

3.  Any logger has a long learning curve to become really proficient and to
be able to get through any issues that arise.  Each logger seems to have
little secrets that are not clearly documented but are learned with many
hours of use.  Take away: don't switch lightly.

4.  Because of the high cost of switching loggers (your time), only consider
doing so if there is one or more show-stoppers in your current logger.

Based on your email below, Phil, I would simply renew your WriteLog
registration and keep using version 11 until it is no longer supporting the
features that are in version 12 and you want those features.  At some point
the version 11 support will decrease as well, so another reason to move to
version 12.  However, moving to version 12 is nothing like moving to a new
logger.  Very short learning curve, so don't hesitate to do it.

Ed W0YK