[RTTY] rckskimmer, still worth setting up?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] rckskimmer, still worth setting up?
From: Jurgen Geldhof <list@on5mf.be>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:52:42 +0200
Hi,

the nearest station skimming for the digital modes is some 600km away from here. So I was thinking of setting up a modest skimmer station for the digital modes here locally.

I still have some questions though:

 * I have most of the gear I need to run RCKskimmer (old transceiver
   etc). Is it still worth to run RCKskimmer or is it a waste of time
   and resources to set everything up? I don't know yet if I want to
   spend €800+ to purchase an SDR receiver.
 * does RCKskimmer have the same problem with separating the
   'DE-stations' from the 'CQ-stations'?

What do you guys think?

Jurgen Geldhof
ON5MF / OQ6A