Re: [RTTY] VK0EK RTTY Update

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] VK0EK RTTY Update
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 12:43:20 -0700
The majority of people who might benefit from these threads and other
sources of suggested operating technique are not in the audience.  We're
mostly preaching to the choir.

The best way to reach everyone and positively influence their behavior is to
be sure that we each operate as best we can on the air.  The more good
examples there are (on the air), the faster everyone's operating will
improve.

Newer ops get educated mostly by what they experience on the air.  For
example, "PLEASE COPY ..." continues to be propagated by newer ops hearing
some other operators say that on the air.  New RTTY ops think they need a
message key with their call repeated 3-4 times because that's largely what
we all hear on the air.

Still, these discussions and various articles and presentations are all very
valuable.  The best way to learn something is to try and explain it.  Also,
explaining something in a public forum inevitably invites debate which is
also educational.

Ed W0YK

Jamie, WW3S, wrote:

That being said, how do we educate these newer ops on pileup etiquette? (if
it is all newer ops?).....listening to the 4W pileup, trying to find the
qsx, and they give a DL6 a 599 and K5 keeps giving his call, they respond to
a SP6, and the same K5, over and over and over.....and he's not the only
one....I can understand if one has lite copy, and they come back to a
similar call, but there nothing similar about OZ8A and a K5.....eventually,
the guy works him, so he thinks the method he is using is correct, but it
isnt.....I know Ed has written some articles on the subject, but how do we
get them into the right publications, websites so the offenders read them ?