Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 09:08:31 -0500

> With all due respect Ed, here’s my problem with this. While on the
> surface, this appears to be the “gentlemanly” thing to do, but in
> reality, I have an issue with this notion of working around their
> “watering hole” during a contest. During normal operations, I agree
> with the general principle of making sure a frequency is clear before
> we claim it and honestly do make every attempt to adhere to that.

What is the difference between operating in a contest and during
"normal" times when it comes to gentlemanly operating?  When a band
is open, it is generally full of users - that applies to the JT and
PSK "centers of activity" just as much as the broader bands.  Even
this morning when I hear (see with the P3 panadapter) no RTTY signals
on 15 meters, there is activity in the JT65/JT9 segments.  The same is
true on true on 40, 30, 20, 17, 12 and 10 meters ... there may be very
little RTTY activity but there a dozen or more JT-mode signals visible
on the waterfall/P3 *per band*.  Those stations don't "go away" on the
weekend/during a contest ... just the opposite open bands are even more
active during the weekend.

There seems to be an attitude that WINLINK/PACTOR and contesting are
the "highest and best use" of the bands and therefor contesters do not
need to listen for other activity and that WINLINK/PACTOR can fire up
on top of even contesters.  Most amateurs would agree that attitude is
simply *wrong*.

As Ed suggested, contesters need to be aware where these other modes
congregate.  Avoid those frequencies if possible but *if you must*
operate there, *know the characteristics of those signals* so you can
recognize them and not treat them as noise to run roughshod over.
Unfortunately like so many others, contesters don't appear to bother
to learn about the characteristics or centers of activity of the non-
mainstream modes.  Perhaps it is time for contest sponsors to include
that information in their announcements and start removing credit and
multipliers if necessary.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV