[RTTY] TinyFSK vs MMTTYFSK

To: "reflector RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] TinyFSK vs MMTTYFSK
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:53:13 -0700
After my recent experience where nobody could copy my 2Tone FSK
signal, there was mention of TinyFSK as a viable method for
generating high quality FSK.  I invested $10 in one of these:
http://www.sainsmart.com/atmel-atmega328-au-mini-usb-cable-full-compatible-for-arduino-nano-3-0-a021.html

I plugged that Arduino board into the computer today, and got it
up and running the TinyFSK program.  I haven't gotten it
integrated with N1MM Logger yet, because I don't want to make any
big changes just before the RTTY Roundup.  For the Roundup, I
will use MMTTY generated FSK which goes through a PCI serial
card, which has a 16550 UART.

My question for all the smart people on this reflector is as
follows.  Is there any advantage to using the Arduino for
generating FSK, compared to my alternate method, using MMTTY/FSK?
Would there be any improvement in timing stability, or reduction
in computer resource requirements between the two methods, or any
other technical pro's/con's?

At the least, it was fun playing with the Arduino, and learning a little about how it functions.

Thanks for pondering the issue.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ