Re: [RTTY] FTDI Secret Update BRICKS users counterfeit chips

To: "rtty-contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FTDI Secret Update BRICKS users counterfeit chips
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:53:15 -0500
Same reply I posted in another forum:

Since counterfeit items are the same as stealing from the legitimate
manufacturer, I can't say as I blame them.

All the driver update does is rewrite the part of the USB identifier
from the (ill-gotten) FTDI code to 0000.  There has been some success
with putting those back to the original (ill-gotten) code.  Someone,
maybe even the counterfeiters, will soon have a program that allows
you to use your counterfeit chip.