Re: [RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

To: RTTY Contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 19:29:07 +0000
Then  I have to ask: what size keyboards are being used, in two computer, two
keyboard, one hand per keyboard operation?

I'm not disagreeing; I'm just trying to get a picture in my head so I can
understand the arrangement...and consider whether it might be better for me
than what I do today.

By way of background: I drive three computers (and five monitors) at least five
days a week.  I use a single full-sized keyboard (with numeric keypad -- a must
for work, and I like it for contests with serial number exchanges).

Two keyboards won't comfortably fit on my desk, at least not without eating
space for other stuff (paper, files, CW paddle), but even if space weren't a
concern, I have a hard time imagining moving back and forth among keyboards all
day: too much back-and forth motion in the arms and back.

Now, I'll admit that I hadn't considered the possibility of one hand per
keyboard operation; I'm too hardwired into using both hands, unless it's a
hand-on-trackball/hand-on-keys operation.  But is it really possible to get two
keyboards positioned so that they aren't stressfully far apart and comfortably
angled?  If using non-keypaded keyboards, how do you find contests with serial
exchanges?

Regarding the switching overhead -- my experience has been that it's not really
a huge problem.  Now, I will admit that for SO2R I use a single computer, but
in fast switching among spreadsheets/database/email usage, using hotkeys or a
trackball, it's seamless (admittedly with decent computers and a fast wired
network).

I could see, however, that in an environment where every keystroke counts, the
incremental key presses for hotkey-switching would be undesirable, and that
mouse users might find having to scroll the pointer from one machine to the
next tedious (that's a factor in my using a trackball; moving from one machine
to the next just requires a firm thumb motion on my trackball).
--
Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@n1en.org