Re: [RTTY] K3 filter for rtty?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K3 filter for rtty?
From: Phil Duff <na4m@suddenlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:25:02 +0000
The K3's standard supplied 2.7 khz 5-pole filter that is used for transmit also
suffers from excessive bandpass ripple.

The ripple is noticealbe with RTTY transmissions even at 100w or less as the
output power will bounce up/down when transmitting RTTY.   It becomes really
obviouis  when running with an amplifier and/or LED/digital power indicator at
higher power levels (100-200w or more fluctuations running ~1kw out).

Solution is to order/install the 2.8khz 8-pole filter which has a much smoother
passband/less ripple as the standard filter.

73 Phil NA4M

On Aug 21, 2014, at 1:56 PM, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com> wrote:

> I am not a fan of the 500 Hz - 5 pole filter.  Having had four of
> them (main/sub in a pair of K3s), I find them to have excess ripple
> in the passband and poor shape factor (> 3:1 6/60 dB).
>

> On 2014-08-21 8:53 AM, Jerry Pixton wrote:
>> Fellow rttyers,
>>
>> If I get a new K3, what filter do I want for rtty? Bandwidth and 5 or 8
>> pole? Is the 250 Hz 8 pole too sharp?
>>
>> My primary operating mode is rtty followed by cw for Dxpeds
>>
>> Jerry, W6IHG

Phil Duff          na4m[at]suddenlink.net