Re: [RTTY] "Not responding" message - driving me crazy!

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] "Not responding" message - driving me crazy!
From: Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 12:24:49 -0400

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 16:22:33 -0400 (EDT)
> From: RLVZ--- via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
> To: notify-dg-N1MMLogger-Digital@yahoogroups.com, rtty@contesting.com
> Subject: [RTTY] "Not responding" message - driving me crazy!
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Hoping someone has experience with fixing the computer  lock ups and "Not
> responding...." messages that I'm experiencing.  It's  driving me crazy!
>
> For the past few years, while doing CW & RTTY  contesting with various
> versions of N1MM Logger, my computers lock up and then  I'll get "Not
> responding" messages on the screen, such  as: "VFO A not responding".  I
> also get the
> same "not responding" messages  on the top of my two RTTY windows.  Each
> time this happens,  the computer locks for aprx. 20 seconds and it sure
> wrecks
> contesting while  running stations.  This weekend, I got the "not
> responding
> messages aprx.  every 10 minutes during my 17 hours of SARTG contesting,
> which was about 100  locks ups.  Needless to say, it was a very frustrating
> weekend!
>
> Some hams have told me that I have an "RF  problem".  I don't believe
> that's the case as this happens on receive  as well as transmit.  In
> addition,
> I've tried all types of chokes,  different computers, different mice and
> keyboards, different monitors, different  grounding arrangements, different
> cables, different antennas, and even different QTH's, and still have the
> same
> problem.  I've tried dozens of different versions of N1MM Logger and they
> all
> lock  up and give the "not responding" messages.  Even different  radios
> have
> the same computer lock up and "not responding"  problems.
>
> The lock ups and "Not responding" messages occur a lot more  often when
> Packet spots are turned "on", and even more often  when the Skimmer is
> turned
> "on".  This makes me think that the  computer is being over loaded.  As
> mentioned earlier, I've had this nagging  problems for a few years, and
> I've
> purchased new computers numerous  times trying to eliminate this problem.
> My
> current CPU is a  fast Quad-Core I5 with 16gB of RAM, it locks up less
> often
> then my older  and slower computers do, so it could be a computer speed
> problem.   Therefore, I have ALL other software turned "off" other  than
> N1MM
> Logger and Windows 7.  Even automatic updates are turned  off.  I will say
> that
> when my I5 was new that I had few "lock  ups" and "not responding" messages
> compared to this weekend.  I do have  AVAST anti-virus software and CC
> [...]
Just a thought but seems like you have varied computers, radios, antennas,
etc. but one thought I have is that you said it locks up more with DX spots
on could it be network related?  Maybe not enough bandwidth from your ISP,
or some network traffic gets slow?  One thing I have noticed at work is if
I have a "mapped" drive I will get random delays.  If I unmap the drive all
is good.  Also do you have drive indexing turned on?  That can be an
annoying CPU hog.