[RTTY] fldig Tip-of-the-Day for Deaf Waterfall (Rev)

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>, CTDXCC List List <ctdxcc@kkn.net>, fldigi list <linuxham@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [RTTY] fldig Tip-of-the-Day for Deaf Waterfall (Rev)
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@att.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:38:29 -0500
This is a revised copy of my posting to the fldigi reflector as there maybe
some fldigi users in other discussion groups.

I turned on fldigi-3.21.83 to start working the two new W1AW/P stations and
noticed the waterfall display was black and fldigi was deaf to signals I could
hear from the Kenwood TS-590’s speaker.  I have seen this before but could not
remember how I fixed it.

I restarted OS X 10.9.4 and fldigi-3.21.83 using my backup fldigi_def.xml file
and waterfall was still black and no signals were being decoded. I then quit
fldigi and replaced the fldigi.prefs file with a backup file and restarted
fldigi. Bingo, the waterfall came alive and was working normal.

Thanks to help from Dave, W1HKJ, in comparing the statements in the two files
it turned out to be an operator error.  I don’t usually mess with "Waterfall
drop speed" options (that rotates between FAST, SLOW, NORMAL AND PAUSE) on the
bottom center of the fldigi menu bar. I must have moused on it in error and
selected PAUSE. When I quit fldigi, it wrote the PAUSE setting to the
fldigi.prefs file. On the next start the waterfall was paused, black and fldigi
was deaf to incoming signals that could be heard from the TS-590S. Mouse
clicking to anything but PAUSE fixed the problem.

The tip-of-the-day is if you need to use the Waterfall drop speed “PAUSE”
option be sure to return it to one of the other settings before exiting fldigi.

There are no new rules but some of us forget and tend to revisit old rules from
time to time. I hope this tip-of-the-day reminder helps others, like me, with
less than perfect memory.

73 Dick AA5VU