[RTTY] Serial card recommendations?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Serial card recommendations?
From: Rick Johnson <110268293250g@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 01:02:38 -0500
Hi all.

Last week I upgraded my old shack XP box to 8.1. The migration went pretty smooth.

But... the only thing not working is RTTY keying. One card is a Sunix brand (model 4036), the other is a StarTech (model unknown; but Windows found the proper drivers, or so it said).

Both cards have Windows 8.1 64 bit drivers; which - according to Microsoft - should work fine. But they don't.

The StarTech makes my PC crash when I try to do RTTY with it; the Sunix card puts my rig in transmit; but doesn't do the FSK keying. In fact, I can select either COM port in the software, and - regardless of whether the cable is hooked up to COM4 or COM5 - the radio goes into transmit! Weird, to say the least.

So, my question: what are you using on Windows 8.1 that properly works in RTTY? Clearly my (oldish) cards and their drivers are no good....

Thanks, 73,

Erik - K5WW