Re: [RTTY] QST article about Win XP

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] QST article about Win XP
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:00:40 -0400
I guess it depends on your definition of "upgrade path".  Mind you, I'm not
defending either the article or the guy who wrote it.

In Microsoft Windows-speak, an upgrade updates an existing instance of
installed software.

You cannot upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 by simply updating the installed
instance of Windows XP.  You have to do a clean install, which means
reinstalling all your programs and settings.  In that regard, an "upgrade" from
Windows XP to Windows 7 is no different than installing Windows 7 on an older
PC with no operating system already installed. A "clean install" is not an
upgrade in the context of how the software is installed.  It's about the
process, not the end result!

Mid to large corporations were very slow to adopt Windows 7 (Vista was
essentially skipped altogether), so there are a large number of PC's out there
that are capable of satisfactorily running Windows 7 that were shipped with XP
installed.  My employer - a foreign company that would rank around 200 on the
Fortune 500 list - JUST finished an upgrade to Windows 7 (already outdated)
from XP last year!

But I would contend that most of the PC's that shipped when XP was in it's
prime - 10 years ago now - would be best left running XP.  And most desktops of
that era were not 64 bit CPU's - that was the domain of servers.  Naturally,
the same desktops only supported 4GB of memory, which is the maximum amount of
physical memory a 32 bit virtual memory operating system can address anyway.

Al
AB2ZY