Re: [RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 135, Issue 33

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 135, Issue 33
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:14:37 +0000
Joe W4TV wrote:
> On 3/19/2014 9:35 AM, Michael Adams wrote:
>  > It doesn't take much of a message for a narrow sub-300bps signal to  >
> become painfully slow, and potentially problematic if conditions  > aren't the
> best.
>
> If conditions aren't good enough for 300 symbols per second, they will
> certainly
> not be any better for faster signals.

In real-world practice, your mileage can vary significantly depending on the
modes involved.

For example, in MARS, I've seen where one of the STANAG waveforms that's being
adopted works best if you choose a speed that is not too slow, and not too
fast.  Too fast, and it will be unintelligible to the receiving stations;  too
slow, and you risk losing part of an over due to QSB removing the signal sync.

In an ARQ situation, you want to keep the overs reasonably short, so that you
don't waste too many transmissions where fading or a static crash prevented
correct reception.  Negotiating a speed that is fast enough to be efficient,
but not so fast as to be uncopyable, will make better use of limited bandwidth.

> through an eye of the needle.  300 baud is enough for *amateur* purposes at HF
> - if there is a requirement for faster communications, take it to commercial
> internet either maritime service or satellite based service.

I would be careful about wielding arguments relying on "need" or "availability
of other services" around.

In this day and age, what is the "need" for amateur radio in general?   If
communications via amateur radio are supposed to be limited to incidental
communications not possible by other services...well, what does that really
mean in a world where the internet is available on a 24/7/365 basis by
satellite at most latitudes?

Perhaps we should kick all the ragchewers and nets off the bands, shut down the
NTS, and dismantle the amateur side of winlink, because such communications are
possible (and are more effective and efficient) by commercial means today.
Perhaps the only transmissions permitted on the amateur bands should be the
occasional test transmissions, if need/availability are the key criteria.

(Just let me make DXCC Honor Roll, and give me a bit more time to reliably get
my CW speed above 35wpm before the purge begins, please!)

Heck, given the availability of good HF-simulating software now, perhaps even
on-air experimentation is no longer "needed"; perhaps it's time to start
non-renewing our tickets because there's no "need".

I agree that slow, narrow signals are quite adequate for the ragchews and
keyboard-to-keyboard communications that are one of the highlights of amateur
radio.   A lot of the broadband stuff isn't needed on a routine basis in
amateur radio; the modes I use in MARS I mostly wouldn't normally consider
using (at least not at the same signal-widths, or not on HF) on a routine basis
because it's wasteful of our limited bandwidth.

We should be reminding ourselves that, not only should we be using the minimum
power required to effect a desired communication to minimize QRM, we should
also be using the minimum bandwidth required, also in the name of reducing QRM.

However, one of the raisons d'être for amateur radio is to provide a place for
hobbyists to experiment -- to research, play, and learn in a sandbox without
there necessarily being a need...or perhaps with an eye towards taking any
knowledge gained and putting it to use in other, more conventional services.

The NBEMS crowd have done some pretty impressive things with narrowband
transmissions; several of the mode-variants now found in fldigi, for example,
aren't permissible on HF from the US today because of the 300 baud
restrictions.    And, if I had the time and skills to do so, I think it would
be an intriguing challenge to try to improve upon what the Germans have done
with Pactor 3/4...preferably in an open-sourced manner.

Such fast/broad transmissions aren't needed for routine ham
communications...but there is still plenty of opportunity for experimentation,
provided (of course) that such experimentation is done in a responsible manner
which doesn't excessively disrupt other users of the bands.

It's the need to not excessively disrupt other users of the bands that the
League seems to have forgotten in their petition.

--
Michael / N1EN