Re: [RTTY] Icom CI-V with Transistors

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Icom CI-V with Transistors
From: Jim W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 22:15:27 -0800
An excerpt from this site: http://www.wa0sxv.us/ci-v.html

Also of interest is the fact that, although they work, solutions involving the Icom OPC-478 cable and variants which use two or three transistors, use the serial interface power, and don't necessarily generate a negative voltage may actually violate the RS232 signal standards. As such, they may be vulnerable to numerous maladies including lack of noise tolerance and possible rate and content related errors. The MAX2xx line of chips actually include voltage doublers and generators of negative voltage. Only one of the discrete component designs I've seen actually does this. Compliance with these standards can be measured with a voltmeter or examined visually using anRS232 signal display <http://www.wa0sxv.us/rs232board.html>. Another drawback of the port-powered interfaces is that they simply may not work on many laptops due to the lack of necessary control signals on the serial port.

73
Jim W7RY