Re: [RTTY] RTTY Roundup minimum off time?

To: "'Dave Hachadorian'" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Roundup minimum off time?
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 06:05:55 -0400
Unfortunately, that's right.  The 25 minutes will not be counted as off-time
in log checking.  Therefore, the last 25 minutes of QSOs will not count in
your score calculation, although they do count for the stations you work (if
the QSOs are within THEIR 24 hours operating time).  It's too bad that only
5 minutes of QSOs won't be uncounted to make the first break official at 30
minutes.

Many people don't realized that every ARRL contest has three sets of rules
that must be taken together.  There is a precedence order between them,
e.g., RTTY Round-Up Rules, General HF Rules and General Rules.  It's easy to
miss details with that system.

BTW, I did a similar thing in the 2013 WPX RTTY when I mistakenly had in my
head the off-time minimum was 30 minutes.  (It's 60 minutes in that
contest.)  And I did two short breaks to deal with some problems.
Accordingly, I lost almost an hour's worth of QSOs and mults at the end of
my 30-hour operating time.  And, I wrote the rules!!

Ed P49X

P.S.  How did we miss working each other in Round-Up last weekend??  Your
dinner?!  ;>)

Dave K6LL wrote:

On Saturday evening during the RTTY Roundup, my wife cooked
something in the kitchen that smelled really wonderful.  I ran
out there, and quickly chowed down.  I was off the air for 25
minutes, and thought I would count that as one of my two allowed
breaks.  My other break was 5 hours and 35 minutes.  I didn't see
anything about 30 minute minimum breaks in the RU rules, but I
see in the General ARRL Rules that, unless otherwise specified,
breaks must be 30 minutes minimum.

How is the break time in the Roundup generally interpreted?  30
minutes minimum?  If so, I guess I will will lose some QSO's at
the end.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ