Re: [RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?

To: <k0rc@citlink.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 20:56:23 +0100
>"...but experience tells me narrow is better for contesting, perhaps
wider
>for weak signals but if they are that weak most won't hear them at all
>during a contest which is why DXing if different from Contesting."
>
>Succinctly stated, and mirrors my contesting experience as well. When
you
>have 4 or 5 signals at 20 dB/S9 "fighting" for the same 1 kHz of
spectrum
>during a contest, weak signal detection is at the bottom of your list
of
>problems you face trying to work and confirm them!

I would agree with all of that, except for the last point. When faced
with S9+20dB  QRM in a contest, the ability to decode weaker stations is
at the very -top- of my list. The  strong stations will already be in
the log, but the weak ones are much more likely to be valuable
multipliers. We all try to use the wider filter when we can, but sniping
rare and distant multipliers through a wall of QRM is where the narrower
(sub-300Hz) filter can sometimes score.

>Your next opportunity to enjoy this 'problem' will be next month,
September
>28 & 29 during the CQ WW RTTY DX Contest. I hope to see you then!

You will - looking forward to it already!

73 from Ian GM3SEK